whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Highlights 2006

Highlights 2005

Highlights 2004

Highlights 2003

Highlights 2002

Haven Immortals

Whitehaven's web

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

To contact Club officials please email to: info@whitehavenrl.co.uk

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.




Don't become a number...This site opposes attempts to impose ID Cards...




Plans (2007) by architects Day Cummins for
two new stands for the Recreation Ground.

2007 was a season that started with a long run of unbeaten league and cup games, but ended with some awayday blues and yet again exit from the Cup semis. It also saw slow headway being made on dreams of Superleage promotion.

The Season's Awards
Players player of the year: Richard Fletcher

Directors Player of the year: Gary Broadbent

Junior Supporters player: Carl Rudd

Pro-Cam try of the season: Craig Calvert V Leigh

Most Improved Player: Derry Eilbeck

Young Player of the year: Marc Bainbridge

Supporters player of the year: Gary Broadbent

Support Group player of the year: Richard Fletcher

Away Supporters player of the year: Richard Fletcher

Internet Supporters player of the year: John Duffy

News and star readers player of the year: Craig Calvert

Academy Awards

Players player of the year: David Ford

Coaches player of the year: Craig Benson

Directors player of the year: Chris Smith

Supporters player of the year: Marc Bainbridge

Farewells 2007 season end....
David Seeds (Retired)
Aaron Lester (Retired)
Aaron Smith (Signed for Leigh)
Steve Maden (Signed for Leigh)
Steve Trindall (Released)
Simon Baldwin (Released)

Long Wait is Over
Whitehaven RLFC have appointed Paul Crarey former coach of Barrow Raiders as their new coach. The 42 year old former Haven player last night signed a twelve month contract with the club.

The club made contact with Crarey after hearing of his release from Barrow last Friday. He eventually agreed to come up to Whitehaven for an interview and impressed everyone on the interview panel with his enthusiam and passion for the game. Paul explained his coaching philosphy which fell in with exactly what the club were looking for. He was later offered the job and took time out over the weekend to consider it with his wife before making his committment last night.

Haven Chairman Des Byrne stated, " We are delighted to welcome Paul to Whitehaven. We were very impressed by his passion and enthusiasm for the game. I had the pleasure of working with Paul with the Cumbria team last year and the fact that he will be part time makes no difference. Paul lives and breaths the job has a great passion for it and will be fully committed to the job. He will change our style of play completely. The predictability of the last few seasons will be replaced by more expansive rugby. He has a lot of good connections in the game and is well respected througout."

Crarey has been nominated for NL 2 Coach of the Year over both seasons he has been at Barrow.

On a very positive note pivotal Haven players Leroy Joe and David Fatialofa have stepped up to the plate again.

Past the Pelican Blues

Halifax won 32- 24 in the Play-offs. Haven tries from Calvert (2), Rudd and David Fatialofa. Goals (4) from Rudd. For Halifax tries from Larder, Royston, Varkulis and Ball.

Shad Royston; Damian Gibson, Mark Roberts, Richard Varkulis, Lee Greenwood; Graham Holroyd, Ian Watson; Paul Southern, Sam Hoare, David Wrench, David Larder, Paul Smith, Phil Joseph
Subs: Sean Penkywicz, Damian Ball, Aaron Trinder, Frank Watene
Tries: Larder (29), Royston (32), Trinder (39), Varkulis (54), Ball (63)
Goals: Holroyd 6/7

Gary Broadbent; Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden; Leroy Joe, Carl Rudd; Simon Baldwin, Graeme Mattinson, David Fatialofa, Spencer Miller, Richard Fletcher, Scott McAvoy
Subs: Carl Sice, Howard Hill, Marc Jackson, Ricky Wright
Tries: Calvert (35, 48), Rudd (42), Fatialofa (71)
Goals: Rudd 4/5

Half-Time: 18-6
Penalty Count: 9-4
Referee: Phil Bentham
Attendance: 2,184

Rotheram Leaves Recre

Town has been in talks with ex-Haven coach Dave Rotheram.
The BBC via commentator John Cox, post match and on Friday Sept 14 broke the news that Dave Rotheram is not to have his contract renewed.
The board are said to want a Fresh Aproach for Haven. The news was conveyed to Rotheram before the Leigh game. Chairman Des Byrne stated on radio that the Haven coaching job is to be advertised. DR said "We stuttered bit but won 75% of our games it's been a succesful year. Two fantastic years here."

Leigh shattered

Leigh a small town near Wigan..19-6 to Haven

Whatever the crucial Boardroom decision , which has been finalised this week (pictured), the squad were solid and every man stepped up to the plate as Sheffield shame was cleansed.

Rudd was superb as try finisher, albeit letting slip the odd conversion. There was pressure on the visitors from the outset and it wasn't long before Matty fed to Calvert for the first points. Greenwood was sometimes threatening but as the game rolled on became more and more frustrated as Haven defenses wrapped up any attempts at a Leigh come back. They looked briefly threatening when Hough scored after a Broadbent fumble, but they never really got traction. Sice was ever creative alongside that other clever playmaker Leroy Joe. Sice kicked for Rudd to make it 10-6 and then Seeds stretched out to make it 14-6 at half time.

For a long spell that was how the score remained until Haven ground Leigh down and Sice created for Rudd (18-6). Soon after ref Ian Smith missed an off the ball punch by Leigh's 2 on Calvert. Haven were rampant by now and Rudd even had time for the luxury of a drop goal. A Baldiwn fumble could have let Leigh get a consolation but they failed to capitalise.

Mr Maden Heading South
Claims that Steve Maden will return to Leigh have been denied in some quarters.

Dreadful trip down M6..Sheffield 26 -Haven 14

Haven Should Have Taken the Pens!

If only Haven had taken the points when they had the chance of easy penalty kicks in both halves they would have had a Tie in this dramatic battle.

Cassidy held

Visiting Widnes looked like making it a walkover in the opening minutes with two quick fire tries .The first as Moran split the defence and allowed Grix in. The second as Moran kicked through for Bland to touchdown.

Great play by Scott McAvoy created the start of Haven;s fight back. He got the ball to Maden for his try. Rudd converted to make it 6-10. At this stage McCormack told his lads (including half of a previous Haven team!) to take the two points from a penalty. If Haven had used similar decision making in both halves they would not suffered their ultimate defeat.

After a doubtful decision by ref Taberner to give a penalty for obstruction Dodd drove in to extend Widnes lead..

In the second half aggro between the sides rose as both teams got stuck-in with gusto. Fletcher for Haven and Aaron Summers for Widnes were sin binned.

Local hero Sice then created a chance for Rudd to score as Haven piled on more and more pressure. Rudd converted his own try to keep his point scoring ever rising.

Maden must have hung his head after he fluffed a clearance and handed Dodd an east peasy try. A Rudd chip and great play from Seeds gave Calvert the key to the door and with Rudd's conversion it was 18-22 as Widnes were kept nailed down to the Kells end as Haven came so close on several attempts.

Gate was a disappointing : 2,360 for what was truly value for money for excitement.
Haven: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, R.Jackson, S.Maden, L.Joe,C.Rudd, S.Trindall,A.Smith, D,Fatialofa, S.Baldwin, Fletcher,S.McAvoy; C.Sice, Hill, M.Jackson, R. Wright.

Widnes: Grix, Blanch, Kohe-Love, Nanyn, Dodd, Moran, Penny, A.Summers, M.Smith, O.Wilkes, J.Tomkins,Noone, Beswick; Cassidy, James, Webster, L.Doran.

When we Gave the Catalans a run for their Francs

Recall our game against the Tigers


Rochdale 12-Haven 28 ..Tries from Rudd, Fletcher, Calvert, Scott McAvoy and Sice. 

Haven v Castleford
August 9 (7.30pm)

Haven were the real tigers who pulled Castleford's tail. The visitors could never relax as the Haven defence were superb and their pressure for an upset was constant.
Richard Fletcher had the first try of the match as Haven really sparked things off in front of over 3,000 at the Recre and many more at home on Sky. Rudd converted. Broadbent, who had a superb game almost came through but let slip a knock on. Ryan Clayton then somehow found a way through the unrelenting Haven defences.
Jackson should have scored but Danny Wilson ripped the ball out and the try was disallowed. Dixon and Baker then made sure Castleford went into the second half with a cushion.

In the second period our old friend Leafa was denied and Haven were never going to quit, After a video check newly arrived Baldwin did the business and got a try. Tensions were high and fans going wild as Haven started to stage a come back. Duffy and Calvert almost succeeded in their well known one-two but just failed. Sice and Marc Jackson added spice and punch but Haven were sadly denied their just deserts. Seeds was superb in attack and defence...ceryainly let Sky viewers see what a classy outfit Haven have become.


Torrid Slog

Haven 24 (12-4) 14 Batley

There were plenty of errors by both sides as the clammy August weather gave the fans something of a lacklustre show. Prolific scorer David Seeds was back in strong form and gained the first home try after a kick through from Carl Rudd, who enjoyed a good game. New prop Baldwin generously passed on the Batley line for Sice to touchdown the second try. So far so good, but fluid play was little in evidence. David Fatilaofa made several drives that burst through but not all his offloads found their mark. Batley were as stubborn as bulldogs and kept threatening to score despite some farcical ball handling. In his attempts to block a breakthrough Broadbent attracted a visit to the sin bin. Luke Stennchion scored for Batley as Haven played on with 12 men. Rob Jackson disappointingly fluffed a golden opportunity as the second half opened.And then Duffy, one of the Men of the Matches, was denied a try by ref Mr Dorber for obstruction. Duffy supplied the bullet pass for Seeds to clock up yet another try and Rudd's ever reliable boot took the score to 18=10. Calvert was denied a corner try after the Bulldogs stood their ground. Spence Miller then ensured the Kells End could relax with an extra try. Olly Marney? sprinted in the give the visitors a consolation try. BATLEY salvaged a bonus point as they went down to defeat at Whitehaven in a scrappy encounter. They looked set to make the long trip back to Yorkshire empty handed after Spencer Miller's try with four minutes to go moved Haven 14 points clear. But Ollie Marns' late effort rescued something from the match, and it was no less then the spirited Bulldogs deserved. They started the game the stronger, making some fierce tackles and looking to put Haven on the back foot.
But gradually, with the likes of David Fatialofa, Richard Fletcher and new signing Simon Baldwin running strongly Haven started to take control. They managed to get three consecutive sets, as first Marns and then Ash Lindsay were forced to knock tricky John Duffy kicks dead.
The pressure finally told when Carl Rudd stabbed a grubber kick through and David Seeds reacted quickest to open the scoring on 19 minute. Rudd converted the try.
Haven kept up the pressure and on 26 minutes doubled their lead. Baldwin made a half-break after a good pass from Rudd and turned in the tackle, releasing Carl Sice to score under the posts (19). Sice had replaced Greame Mattinson only a few seconds earlier, and the pass from Baldwin was the first time he touched the ball. Carl Rudd converted again. Determined not to concede a third try the Bulldogs threw everything they had into the next ten minutes.
Their cause was helped when Gary Broadbent was sin-binned for holding down right on the Haven line, but try as they might the visitors just could not force their way over during a long spell of pressure. Eventually the home side cleared their lines and it looked like the visitors' chance had gone. However they were awarded a dubious penalty on half way and took full advantage. Lee Paterson tapped it as the Haven players stood with their backs to him, and only a desperate tackle from Ricky Wright brought him to ground.
Wright was on hand to make another desperate tackle a few seconds later, but his defensive heroics were only delaying the inevitable and sure enough Luke Stenchion bulldozed his way over the line a few seconds later. Patterson missed with his conversion but the Bulldogs' tails were up going into half-time. The first 17 minutes of the second period passed without incident, as both sides became locked in an arm wrestle in the middle of the park.
Haven looked the stronger, but the usual attacking spark from Sice or Duffy was lacking.
As the game threatened to peter out Duffy finally injected some magic, selling a dummy and going on a mazy run through the Batley defenders, before touching down. As the home fans went wild, referee Mike Dawber pulled play back, seemingly for an obstruction when Duffy ran close to Baldwin.
That seemed to be the spark the game needed and suddenly the interest was ignited, with Batley grabbing another score of their own.
Richard Colley produced a great run, and slipped the ball out of a tackle to Jamie Stokes in support, he dived for the line, and Francis Maloney's conversion brought the visitors back to within a score at 12-10 on the hour.
Haven were reeling and when star centre David Seeds was flattened in a tackle it looked like the game might swing the way of the visitors. Seeds was helped to his feet, and as a substitute got set to replace him Haven switched their attack from left to right.
Seeds ignored the physio's call to leave the field, and how pleased Haven were just a few seconds later. The ball was moved back to the left by John Duffy and Seeds, still looking rather groggy, sold Marns a dummy and ghosted over for his second score. Rudd converted to put some daylight back on the score board, but with 15 minutes still to play the Bulldogs were very much still in the contest.

That was until Seeds worked his magic again.
This time he was still in his own half when he took Duffy's pass, but he ran at the Batley defence and with Ash Lindsay and Mark Barlow terrified of the pace of Calvert on Seeds' outside they moved across, anticipating the pass.
Seeds used all his experience, shaping to shift the ball and then running into the gaping chasm created when the two defenders rushed towards Calvert.
Three or four years ago Seeds would have gone on to out-stip the full back and claim a hat-trick, but with old father time catching up with him he was delighted to see Spencer Miller on his inside as Jamie Stokes closed him down. Seeds released the ball at just the right time and Miller went over under the sticks. Rudds fourth conversion made the margin 14, and Gary Thornton might have been forgiven for thinking the world was against him. He barked some instructions from the sidelines as he tried to rally his troops for one last effort, and it payed dividends.
Maloney's short kick off was recovered and they went on one last attack, which ended when Marns stepped inside Rob Jackson and grabbed what might prove a vital try in the Bulldogs battle to beat the drop. Maloney's conversion struck the bar but at 24-14 it was of little consequence.

David Seeds second try pushed Haven eight points clear, and ended any hope of a shock Batley win.

Gamestar: David Seeds; What can you say to compliment this guy -- Haven's all time leading try scored added two and made a third -- taking himself past the 900 points landmark. A living legend. Fatialofa and Ricky Wright put in good stints up front.

News Updates: July 2007 Skipper Aaron moves to Penrith RU
Halifax 20- Haven 26; on the scoresheet Dave Seeds, Hill, Calvert and Rudd
New signing ..Rochdale prop Simon Baldwin
See the proposed new stands for the Recre
July 22 ; Widnes 16 Haven 14
Tries marc Jackson and Derry Eilbeck, goals Rudd 3..Widnes tries from Moran, Blanch and that man Nanyn

Outclassed by the full time Pros

Whitehaven 6 (0-30) 54 Widnes
Scorer for Haven Rudd.
Widnes: Koke-Love, Blanch (2), Nanyn, Doran, Moran, Smith, Gaskell. Goals Nanyn.
The scoreline was a fair reflection of a one-sided cup final.
Haven: Broadbent, Calvert, Eilbeck, R Jackson, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Fatialofa, Smith, Trindall, Miller, Fletcher, Rudd. Subs: Sice, Mattinson, R Jackson, Teare.

Widnes: Grix, Blanch, Koa-Love, Nanyn, Gaskill, Moran, Penny, Cassidy, Smith. Wilkes, Doran, Noone, Beswick. Subs: Summers, James, Webster, Price.

Tries: Kohe-Love, Grix, Blanch 2, Nanyn, Doran, Smith, Moran, Gaskell.

Goals: Nanyn 9.

Attendance: 8,326. Referee: Jamie Leahy.

Castleford 38 - Haven 12 Tries from Duffy and Calvert

Kiwi Day
WHITEHAVEN cantered to a comfortable victory over Sheffield Eagles, running out 44-16 winners at The Recreation Ground. The home side completely dominated the game from start to finish, and had the final ball not been lacking on a number of occasions they could well have scored far more then the eight ties they managed.
Haven started brightly, with Rob Jackson sending Craig Calvert away on the left only for the flying winger's trailing leg to hit the sideline just as he was grounding the ball. The two almost combined again a few minutes later, but this time Jackson's pass went straight into touch. However it was third time lucky on seven minutes when Jackson latched onto a great pass from Greame Mattinson and then found Calvert cutting back on the inside. There was no stopping Calvert this time as he opened the scoring. Carl Rudd missed the conversion.
The Eagles hadn't had so much as one attack and when they did manage one, on ten minutes, a loose pass was superbly intercepted by Steve Trindall to set up another Haven attack, from which they grabbed their second score.
Sheffield had defended well and the home side were only just up to half way on the last. Rudd launched a huge bomb which should have been bred and butter for Johnny Woodcock, but the Eagles full back and his winger, Danny Mills, left it to each other. The ball bounced up on the hard surface and as the pair of them struggled with the sun in their eyes Aaron Smith pounced. With the visitors' defence floundering Smith fed Spencer Miller, who went over. Rudd again missed with the conversion. Whitehaven were in total control of the game as Sheffield struggled for both field position on possession. If they were going to get back into the match it was going to take a mistake, a piece of individual skill or lucky interception.
Richard Fletcher broke a tackle for Haven and charged over half-way. The defence only just scambled to ground him and as they struggled get set for the next phase Haven could smell blood. However in their desperation to kill off the Eagles a pass was forced and Gary Broadbent knocked it on. Damien Reid seized the chance, gathering the ball and racing 60 metres to score under the posts. Woodcock's conversion meant that for all Haven's dominance the score was just 8-6 after 20 minutes.
Haven came back strongly, first Aaron Smith was held up over the line (22) then Derry Eilbeck had a try chalked off for a dubious knock on (25) and finally, in the next set, Richard Fletcher was called back for a forward pass just as he looked set to ground the ball. However the pressure was beginning to tell as Sheffield defended in the heat, and with Marc Jackson and Carl Sice on and causing problems with some fantastic off-loads it was just a matter of time before Haven scored again. It came on 27 minutes after another great pass from Mattinson. This time Broadbent was the recipient and he span out of the tackle and touched down. Rudd landed the extras this time from right out on the touch-line.
Sice was causing all kinds of problems for the Eagles and after yet another break from him Mattinson got in on the scoring act (35) and Rudd converted to make it 20-6.
That should have been game over but just before the break Adam Haynes latched onto a flat pass close to the Haven line and scored a try that kept the Eagles in the game. Woodcock converted and they went into the interval only eight points behind. Sheffield made the brighter start in the second half and actually had Haven on the back foot for a short while, a try then might have given them the belief they needed to get something from the encounter. But a lovely delayed pass from Sice to Rob Jackson split their defence on 45 minutes. Jackson shipped the ball onto Calvert and, as is inevitable when Calvert gets clear space to run at, the winger scored a great try. Rudd again converted. Sheffield needed to score next to have any chance and as Haven pilled forward they did well to keep them out. When the Eagles did get the ball they needed to drive up field and then give themselves a chance to build some momentum with the kick, but that wasn't to be. A thunderous hit from Haven sub Scott Teare forced Jack Howieson to spill the ball on the first tackle, and set Haven up for yet another attack.
Again Carl Sice came up with something special, this time his inside ball sending Marc Jackson over the whitewash for a try which Rudd converted. That was game over.
Paul Pickering let his frustration show when he went in with a late elbow on Leroy Joe as the Kiwi half-back kicked the ball and referee Robert Hicks sent him to the sin-bin. Having made a couple of tries Sice decided to score one himself. He put Fletcher through a gap and the backed up to receive the ball back from the second row as Woodcock came across to tackle him. Sice collected Fletcher's pass and dived over the line to score Haven's seventh of the afternoon (56) and Rudd again converted.
The game seemed to fizzle out after that, with Haven no doubt having one eye on this weekend's Northern Rail Cup Final against Widnes at Blackpool. Grant Edwards pulled back an unconverted try for Sheffield (64), but Haven were to have the last word. The game had been dubbed "Kiwi day" by Haven to mark the contribution Fatialofa, Joe and the now departed Aaron Lester have made to the club over the past ten years as they enjoy the business end of their testimonial season. It was fitting that Fatialofa should grab the games final try in the final minute. Rudd tacked on the two.

GAMESTAR: Carl Sice; An outstanding contribution again from Sice who scored one and made two others playing behind a dominant pack. Mattinson and Fletcher were also in good from and all four of Haven's props made a bigs impacts.

GAMEBREAKER: Craig Calvert's second try after Sheffield had started the second half well.

1 Gary Broadbent
2 Craig Calvert
3 Rob Jackson
4 Derry Eilbeck
5 Steve Maden
6 Carl Rudd
7 Leroy Joe
8 Steve Trindall
9 Aaron Smith
10 David Fatialofa
11 Spencer Miller
12 Richard Fletcher
13 Greame Mattinson
14 Carl Sice
15 David Seeds
16 Marc Jackson
17 Scott Teare

1 Johnny Woodcock;
2 Danny Mills,
3 James Ford,
4 Damien Reid,
5 Rob Worrincy;
6 Brendon Lindsay,
7 Gavin Brown;
8 Jack Howieson,
9 Paul Pickering,
10 Mitchell Stringer,
11 Dale Holdstock,
12 Tommy Trayler,
13 Adam Hayes.
14 Dom Brambani,
15 Ryan Hipworth,
16 Grant Edwards,
17 Tom Buckenham.

Calvert (7, 45) Miller (11) Broadbent (27) Mattinson (35) Marc Jackson (50) Sice (56) Fatialofa (79)
Rudd, 6/8

Reid (18) Hayes (40) Edwards (64)
Woodcock, 2/3
Sin Bin
Pickering (53) late tackle.

Ref; Robert Hicks
Atten; 1,473
Penalty Count 7-7
Scoring sequence. 4-0, 8-0, 8-6, 14-6, 20-6, 20-12, 26-12, 32-12, 38-12, 38-16, 44-16.
Half time; 20-12.

Send for Sice!

The fans shouted themselves hoarse in this exciting two way encounter. Visiting Halifax seemed the slicker side for the first half, but Haven returned in the second half with fire in their bellies to win 34-19 (6-19)

Sice again proved crucial both in attack and defence. Great games also from the ever creative Leroy Joe and John Duffy. Men of the matches were voted: Rudd, Duffy and Broadbent. Fletcher was a try maker and a crucial try-breaker. Tries from: Haven; Joe, Sice, Duffy, D.Eilbeck and Fletcher. Halifax; Varkulis, Greenwood, P.Smith, Holroyd.

To cap it all Washington International pledged £60,000 matching funding to match any other big donors towards the new stands.

WHITEHAVEN produced the best 40 minute performance seen in many a long year at The Recreation Ground to come from the dead and claim a spot in the final of the Northern Rail Cup.
Trailing Halifax 19-6 at the interval the hosts looked dead and buried but roared back with 28 unanswered second half points to set up a clash with Widnes at Blackpool.
It was the visitors who made the better start, with props Paul Southern and Frank Watene making good yards and Ian Watson directing play. Graham Holroyd missed a simple penalty on eight minutes that would have given them the lead that they had deserved.
On 11 minutes Phil Joseph opted for the power-play on the last, a ploy that nearly paid off but he was held up inches short of the line as the visitors continued to dominate.
WHITEHAVEN's first attack came on 13 minutes and almost ended in disaster when John Duffy's long looping pass was plucked from the air by Holroyd. The 'Fax stand-off still had 65 metres to go to the line and was chased down by second row Richard Fletcher. Fletcher did brilliantly to save a certain try.
He chased Holroyd towards the corner and as the Fax man anticipated Fletcher's tackle he tried to pass inside to the Mark Roberts.
But Fletcher has read that too, and got his hand in the way of the pass -- knocking the ball dead and keeping the scores level.
Halifax did eventually break the deadlock two minutes later though when Steve Trindal was harshly pulled up for a high shot on Watene, and Holroyd this time knocked over the penalty.
Then came an onslaught that even the most optimistic of Haven fans must have thought would see them beaten.
First on 17 minutes Richard Varkulis sold a dummy in his own hauled and raced 60 metres to score. Holroyd missed the conversion.
And then on 22 minutes Holroyd shipped the ball wide to Roberts who drew the last defender and sent Lee Greenwood in for the simplest of score. This time Holroyd added the conversion from the touchline.
The on 28 minutes Varkulis again caused problems, breaking and finding Damian Gibson with an inside ball.
Gibson broke clear and passed to Joseph on the charge. The loose forward then got the ball away to Paul Smith who scored the try. Holroyd added the extras, and a chorus of boos sounded around The Recreation Ground. Most worrying for Haven was not the fact that they were 18-0 down, but the ease with which Halifax seemed to be able to cut through their defence, while none of their own attacks had looked like coming to anything.
If Halifax had scored the next try then that would have been it -- but another piece of genius from Fletcher got the hosts back in it. He took the ball from Duffy after a good charge by Marc Jackson and attracted three defenders and he powered towards the line.
Fletcher -- who is Haven's stand out forward week in and week out -- then slipped a sublime off-load to the on-rushing Leroy Joe who danced round Shad Royston and scored. Carl Rudd turned four into six with the conversion. There was time just before the hooter sounded for Ian Watson to add a drop-goal and further extend the visitors lead.
If Haven were to have any chance of avoiding a semi final exit for the fourth time in five seasons then they simply had to score next -- and sure enough Carl Sice came up with the goods on 50 minutes. Sice's lively play around the ruck had been one of the few threats Haven posed in the first period, but it was as a support player to the other Carl -- Rudd -- that he got his try. Rudd sold a dummy on half-way and raced away, but wasn't going to have the legs to get to the try-line. He slipped a lovely ball inside to Sice and he sprinted clear of the last defender. Richard Fletcher added the extras and suddenly it was game on.
Duffy began to dominate the game the way that his opposite number Ian Watson had in the first half, he was at the heart of everything. He made a superb break which almost saw Rob Jackson over the line on 56 minutes and then, two tackles later, he went over himself after Leroy Joe had done well to get the ball away as he was tackled close to the posts. Rudd converted and the gap was just a point. Just after the hour Haven were ahead for the first time as Rudd backed himself and got the ball down despite the attention of three defenders. He converted his own try.The Halifax that had seemed so energetic and keen in the first period now looked out on their feet, steam rollered by a pumped up Haven they simply had no answer and started trying to force the play. Holroyd then came up with the error that ended Fax's hopes altogether with 11 minutes left to play. He forced a pass that was never on close to his own line, and the ball bounced along the ground nowhere near any of his team mates. Derry Eilbeck reacted quickest, diving on it to get the easiest try he'll ever score. This time the conversion was missed by Rudd, but the visitors body language suggested that it might as well have been a hundred points behind. There was time for one last Haven score, on 78 minutes, and again it was inspired by Duffy. He took on the tired defence 20 yards out and then showed superb skill to get the ball to Aaron Smith as he was being tackled close to the line. Smith dropped over the whitewash and Rudd converted, to complete a memorable comeback which those Haven fans who left at half time will be sorry they didn't stick around for.

GAMESTAR; John Duffy. Duffy came up with one of his best performance in a Haven shirt in the second period and takes the gong ahead of Carl Sice, Richard Fletcher, Leroy Joe and Gary Broadbent who were all magnificent.

GAMEBRAKER; Holroyd's awful pass to the turf after 'Fax had gone behind provided Derry Eilbeck with the easiest try he'll ever score -- and killed off any chance of a comeback.

HAVEN 1 Gary Broadbent, 2 Craig Calvert, 3 Rob Jackson, 4 Derry Eilbeck, 5 Steve Maden, 13 Carl Rudd, 7 John Duffy, 8 Steve Trindall, 9 Aaron Smith, 10 David Fatialofa, 11 Spencer Miller, 12 Richard Fletcher, 6 Leroy Joe ; Subs (all used) 14 Carl Sice, 15 Greame Mattinson, 16 Marc Jacskson
17 Scott Teare

Halifax ;1 Shad Royston , 2 Damian Gibson, 3 Mark Roberts, 4 Richard Varkulis,
5 Lee Greenwood; 6 Graham Holroyd, 7 Ian Watson; 8 Paul Southern, 9 Sean Penkywicz, 10 Frank Watene, 11 Danny Heaton, 12 Paul Smith, 13 Phil Joseph; Subs (all used) 14 Sam Hoare, 15 Damian Ball, 16 David Larder 17 Andy Shickell

Joe (31), Sice (50), Duffy (56) Rudd (61), Eilbeck (69), Smith (78)
Goals; Rudd 4/5, Fletcher 1/1.

Varkulis (17), Greenwood (22), Smith (28)
Goals; Holroyd 3/5
Field Goal; Watson (39).

Half time 6-19
Pens 8-6
Ref Jamie Leahy
Attendance 2,246


Poor Donny
WHITEHAVEN enjoyed an easy win against struggling Doncaster Lakers – who looked out of their depth at The Recreation Ground. In truth the fact that Doncaster had made the trip at all was a victory for them and their supporters, having been saved from going out of business at the 11th hour. They were behind inside two minutes in this game, with Haven determined to get back to winning ways after last weekend’s shock defeat at home to Leigh. Big Aussie Steve ‘Bull’ Trindall set the tone for the evening as he barged over the line for a try which Carl Rudd converted. On five minutes Doncaster had their first and only attack of the opening half, but Craig Calvert came up with a great ball and all tackle on Ade Adebisi to deny the winger. After 14 minutes the home side doubled their advantage after a piece of great individual skill from Rudd. He received an awful pass from acting half-back but managed to gather it and the switch the play, running sideways across the field until he found a gap. He then produced a sublime side footed kick through, which Richard Fletcher latched onto. Rudd added the extras,


From the kick off Haven went on the attack again with Derry Eilbeck making a superb break from his own half and the releasing Matty Dale as the Doncaster defence got back. Dale raced away for his second try in as many games and Rudd again tacked on the conversion to put Haven 18 nil up with 17 minutes played. Fletcher was emerging as the dominant force on the field, attracting four defenders whenever he got the ball and still making good yards. He has also proved something of a try-machine since coming to the Recre, and it came as no surprise when he grabbed his second of the night – and 16th of the season – on 22 minutes. This time Haven worked a power play down the blind side with Duffy releasing Fletcher 30 yards from the line try-line. Fletcher dummied outside and then handed off the last defender. Rudd missed the touchline conversion. Three minutes later they were in again and again it was all down to Fletcher. He drove the ball up close to the line and, with three Doncaster players desperately trying to tackle him, he slipped a peach of a pass out the back door to debutant Craig McAvoy. McAvoy still had plenty to do, but the ex-Barla international stepped Lee Close to record his first Haven try, which Rudd made good with the conversion. As the players trekked back for the kick-off Carl Sice entered the fray from the replacements bench, and his introduction attracted a cheer louder then the one which had greeted the try. Sice has had a spell out of the team, dropped by coach Dave Rotheram after a dip in form. But the hooker is a popular figure on the terraces and the fans were delighted to see him back in the chocolate, blue and gold. He gave them something to really cheer on 33 minutes when, following a good break from Duffy, he scooted from acting half-back and jinked his way over, holding off the challenge of Craig Skelton to score. Rudd added the extras. There was time before the break for one more Haven try, and again it came from the right hand side which Fletcher controlling. This time Duffy made a break and shipped the ball out to Fletcher. He had no space at all and must have feared going into touch as the defenders swarmed to him. But he caught the ball and passed it back to Duffy in one movement, leaving the half-back with bags of space to cross the whitewash. Rudd missed the touchline conversion as the hooter sounded. Things could only get better for Doncaster, but they had to get worse first when, on 43 minutes Peter Green was sent to the sin bin for holding down. The offence had been a theme of the Doncaster defence, and Green was one of many offenders, but he was the unlucky one who got the ten-minutes. That actually seemed to spark the Lakers into life, and they got some points on the board when Skelton made a break and found Andy Speak in support. Speak in turn found Chris Buttery, who put Lee Close in as he was grounded. Joe McLocklan added the extras. Then Doncaster started to build a little pressure, and Haven were forced to run the ball back at them from deep within their own territory. Unfazed by this Duffy hoofed a long kick down field on the second tackle, and anyone who has seen Calvert in full flight can guess the rest. He scorched away leaving Adebisi – no slouch himself – for dead, and got to the ball to score before it could run out of play. Rudd’s conversion was wide. The other winger, McAvoy, broke from his own 20 meter line on 56 minutes, fending off two tacklers before being grounded agonisingly close to the Doncaster line. McAvoy had played in the academy two days before at York, on the back of a full amateur season, and just didn’t quite have the legs. The livewire Sice has kept up with McAvoy, and was quickly behind him waiting for him to play-the-ball, when a back-tracking defender tackled him. It was a blatant professional foul, and was lucky to draw no more then a penalty. Sice was not to be denied though, and after a strong run from Trindall he dummied and went over for his second of the night. Runn converted. The game petered out a little after that, but there was still time for Mattinson (64) and Teare (74) to add scores, both of which were converted by Rudd.
Gamestar: Carl Sice. Richard Fletcher was head and shoulders above everyone until Sice joined the game on 26 minutes. A typical all action display from the vastly talent hooker, who on this form is a joy to watch. Fletcher will play worse then this and get the MoM award!



Gamebreaker; Haven’s Richard Fletcher inspired four try salvo between the 14th and 25th minute left the Lakers floundering.



Haven; 1 Gary Broadbent, 2 Craig Calvert, 3 Spencer Miller, 4 Derry Eilbeck, 5 Craig McAvoy, 6 Carl Rudd, 7 John Duffy, 8 Steve Trindall, 9 Aaron Smith, 10 David Fatialofa, 11 Matty Dale, 12 Richard Fletcher, 13 Aaron Lester .SUBS (all used) 14 Carl Sice 15 Leroy Joe 16 Scott Teare 17 Greame Mattinson.


Doncaster; 1 Craig Skelton, 2 Lee Close, 3 Chris Buttery, 4 Shaun Leaf, 5 Ade Adebisi, 6 Joe McLocklan, 7 Andy Speak,8 Alex Rowe, 9 Lee Bettinson,10 Alex Benson,11 Craig Lawton ,12 Sean Hesketh 13 Peter Green. SUBS (all used) 14 Mark Castle15 James Garmston16 Chris Lyth17 Wayne Green


Haven Tries

Trindal (2) Fletcher (14, 22) Dale (17) McAvoy (25) Sice (33, 56) Duffy (39) Mattinson (64) Teare (74).

Goals Rudd 8/11


Doncaster Tries

Close (45)

Goal McLocklan 1/1

Sin Bin

P Green (43) Holding down.


Men of the match

Haven: Sice

Doncaster: Rowe


Ref: Mike Dawber

Attendance 1,410

14 Jun 2007 - Haven announced that they have applied for planning permission to build new new stands either side of the B & H Motors stand.

Plans were submitted at the end of May and hopefully will be approved by the July Planning meeting. The stands will contain just less than 1000 seats and although the overall cost has not yet been established the club are looking to raise up to £300000. The club fully supports the Pow Valley Development but realise that is a long term project and have decided that they need to devote their time, energy and money into achieving the clubs objectives at this time.

Supporters will have the opportunity to help raise the funds by buying a seat in the stands. Seats will cost £100 except for seat number 1 which wil cost £1000. Each person who buys a seat will have their name on a plaque on the seat and also on a Wall of Honour within the ground. Payments can be made by cheque, cash or direct debit or can be spread over four payments. Further details available from the club on 01946 692915



The Better Side Won

Calvert opening try June 2007

No doubt about it Haven deserved this their first home league defeat. A smaller but fitter Leigh full of rising talent gave Haven a hard time. Already the crowd are muttering about the coach and why Carl Sice was not on the team sheet.
Things started so well with the ever speedy Calvert running almost a full pitch to score. Rudd converted.

Matty Dale touchdown 2007
Leigh's Heremaia, who had a stunning game, was stunned himself when knocked out cold in a first half collision. Alan Rudd then touched down for Leigh Missed tackles by Teare and Benson allowed that no 7 Heremia in to make it 6-12 at the interval. In the opening of the second half Calvert was clearly obstructed but ref Ian Smith missed it. Haven allowed Leigh's Alstead to sprint up the wide spaces to start Leigh's steady pulling away from Haven. A Leigh drop kick bounced back from the post but clearly the home side were finding a fight back hard. Leigh seemd to have more fuel still in the tank in the searing heat. Fletcher made it over the line but that ref again ruled he had been held up. Alstead then scored again and it was only a consolation try under the sticks from debut signing Matty Dale that made the score line better. Leroy Rivett hammered home the final humiliation with a try after Haven failed to gather a loose ball.

Alstead does a runner
LEIGH inflicted Whitehaven's second home league defeat in three seasons -- out-gunning the Cumbrians 12-28 at the Recreation Ground.
Not many sides make the trip north to The Recre and leave with anything more then a few bumps and bruises, but this youthful Leigh side were on top in all departments and deservedly headed home with the three points. Darren Shaw's side looked up for the contest, and made the better start, attacking the Haven line right from the kick-off.
They were unlucky not to get the game's first try on four minutes when livewire Martin Ainscough took on the Haven defence. He stepped inside Craig Benson and looked odds on to score when Gary Broadbent made a first class ball and all tackle that left the Leigh man millimetres short of the whitewash.
On the next play Aaron Heremaia's kick through was fielded by John Duffy and Haven quickly moved the ball the wide to Craig Calvet.
Calvert then did what he does best, pinned his head back and took on Wembley wonder Leroy Rivett. He ran around the ex-Super League winger and then galloped almost 90 metres from his own line to score, with Rivett not able to get close enough to even attempt to tackle him.
Carl Rudd landed the touchline conversion and suddenly the Recre was rocking.
Whitehaven then started to get on top, domination the next five minutes as Leigh had the first.
But ill-discipline cost them dear when, with the visitors struggling to get clear of their line, Haven allowed them to gain 8- metres in two plays when first they were penalised for interference and Damien Couturier kicked Leigh up to half way.
Then as Leigh tapped the ball Haven were guilty of a stupid off-side infringement, handing Courtiuer the chance to boot his side deep into the Haven half.
Just a couple of phases later a lovely inside pass from Ainscough sent Adam Rudd crashing over the line from ten yards out to, and Courturier's conversion levelled the score on 11 minutes at six all.
Whitehaven again tried to step up their performance, but Leigh's hard working defence meant that the best they could manage was when Carl Rudd chased his own kick on 20 minutes. The Haven stand-off appeared to be winning the race with Heremaia to the ball as it bounced in-goal but Kiwi stepped across him to see off the danger.
Calvert's pace was again a problem for Leigh when he gathered Duffy's deft chip over the defence and raced away from his own 30 metre line.
This time however full-back Miles Greenwood was on hand to help Rivett and although neither were able to catch Calvert they were able to force him to run across field towards where others were tracking back, and he was grounded by the traffic.
The game was well poised but gradually the enthusiasm in the Leigh tackling began to take its toll as they started to get the better of the arm wrestle in the middle of the park.
That increasing dominance paid off when Heremaia took advantage of some pretty sloppy defending to score from close range on 34 minutes, and Couturier converted to send the visitors in 6-12 ahead at the interval.
Whitehaven came out all guns blazing and forced a knock on early in the tackle out with some ferocious tackling after kicking off. They then battered the Leigh line for five minutes without ever really looking likely to unlock it.
The closest they came was on 45 minutes, when Calvert was fed the ball wide. The pacey winger hacked it forward and as he gave chase looked to be taken out by Rivett and Heremaia, but referee Ian Smith waved away the protests from the Haven players and fans.
And just two minutes later it was game over.
With the Leigh defence proving impossible to crack Haven started forcing passes, desperately trying to get back on level terms.
One such pass was plucked from the air by Dave Alstead, who, just like Calvert in the first half, pinned his head back and raced away.
Alstead isn't the quickest winger in the league, but with the Haven defenders racing forward he was 30 yards clear before anyone realised he had the ball, and he was quick enough to beat the only man who chased him, Leroy Joe.

Couturier again converted, and although with over half and hour to play there was plenty of time for a Haven fight back, the body language of the players suggested that such a thing was unlikely. Whitehaven's ageing pack looked dead and buried in the heat, particularly when Richard Fletcher was withdrawn shortly afterwards, and in contrast the youthful Leigh side still seemed full of energy. Before leaving the action Fletcher came the closest of anyone to getting Haven back in the game, but he was held up as he tried to ground the ball on 55 minutes.
On 67 Alstead grabbed his second try when he was quickest to react to a grubber kick into the corner from Heremaia, and he beat Benson to the bobbling ball. This time Couturier's conversion was wide, but by now the Centurions were home and dry.
In this crazy world of bonus points for narrow defeats Haven did keep plugging away, and when debutant Matty Dale latched onto a flat pass from Duffy on 77 minutes to score a try which Rudd converted it looked like they would get at least something from the game.
However they contrived to throw that away when, with just a few seconds left on the clock, Scott Teare lost the ball in the tackle 40 metres from his own line. Aaron Lester looked too tiered to pick it up, and Leroy Rivett seized the chance, gathering and beating Derry Eilbeck in a race for the line. Couturier again converted. This was a game where Haven, so hard to beat at the Recre, finally came unstuck against a Leigh team which, on the day, was better in every department. With five outside backs missing through injury Haven might have been worried about the experience in the Leigh backs, but it was upfront where they were completely and utterly out muscled. Malinga Styles, a back row forward playing at prop, was the corner stone of a Leigh pack which was itself missing two regulars, Dana Wilson and Warren Stevens, and to a man the Centurions out-gunned their opponents. Styles, the best player on the field, even had enough energy left to do some celebratory cart-wheels at the end to the delight of the travelling support who, if in thought rather then deed, were probably joining in with the acrobatics. Haven coach Dave Rotheram said; "They beat us up the middle today, they were more enthusiastic then us and they out played us." His Leigh counterpart and former London Broncos team-mate Darren Shaw added; "This is an intimidating place to come, not many sides get any change out of Whitehaven up here. "But I have a lot of young guys in the side and they have no fear of reputations, some of them are 19 or 20-year-old kids, they were full of energy and desire."
Dave Alstead's interception try made the gap 12 points and took the wind out of Haven, who had started the second half brightly.
Malinga Styles; He took on the Haven pack and was magnificent. Playing out of position at prop he never stopped running and made good yards every time. Must have made 30 hit ups and only had one, very brief, spell off the field. Heremaia was also exceptional.

1 Gary Broadbent
2 Craig Calvert
3 Spencer Miller
4 Derry Eilbeck
5 Craig Benson
6 Carl Rudd
7 John Duffy
8 Steve Trindal
9 Aaron Smith
10 David Fatialofa
11 Matty Dale
12 Richard Fletcher
13 Aaron Lester

Subs (all used)

14 Greame Mattinson
15 Leroy Joe
16 Marc Jackson
17 Scott Teare

1 Miles Greenwood
2 Leroy Rivett
3 Damien Couturier
4 Anthony Stewart
5 David Alstead
6 Martin Ainscough
7 Aaron Heremaia
8 John Cookson
9 John CLough
10 Malinga Styles
11 Adam Rudd
12 Adam Thomas
13 James Taylor

SUBS (all used)
14 Chad Isles
15 Matt Astley
16 Chris Hall
17 Sean Richardson

Haven; Tries; Calvert (5) Dale (77)
Goals; C Rudd 2/2
Leigh; Tries; A Rudd (11) Heremaia (34) Alstead (47, 67) Rivett (79)
Goals; Couturier 4/5

Men of the match Haven; Broadbent
Leigh; Styles
Pens; 4-8
Ref; Ian Smith
Attendance 2,065

Gate 2,065 Hertel Man of Match John Duffy.

New Signings

Welcome on board for Matty Dale from Hull and Craig McAvoy. McAvoy, 24-year-old has agreed a two-and-a-half year deal at the Recre following a glittering amateur career with Hensingham, which included BARLA international honours.

Matty Dale
Matty Dale

Rams 22..Haven 32
tries from Seeds,Maden, Duffy, Mattinson, Fatialofa and Calvert

Cup meeting with Halifax again...June 24

Haven 34-14 Barrow Raiders in NR Cup
WHITEHAVEN knocked out a determined Barrow in a cracker of a Cumbrian derby at The Recreation Ground. This pulsating match was in the balance right up until the last five minutes, when Haven scored two converted tries to finally kill off the visitors' resistance and win 34-14.

It had everything a good game needs; great tries, end to end action, loads of massive hits – and a low penalty count from a good ref who let it flow. The mood for this tense arm wrestle of game was set just three minutes in, when Jamie Finch managed to rob the ball from Stephen Bannister to give the Raiders possession in the Haven half. From it they grabbed the game's first try, Jamie Nixon surging onto a flat pass from Holt before stepping inside Gary Broadbent to score after just three minutes. Holt missed the conversion. Haven fans didn’t have to wait long to see their side over the whitewash, but there was a large slice of luck about their reply.

John Duffy sent a harmless looking kick over the defence on the last tackle but it wrong-footed the unlucky Michael Bassan and he twisted his knee. With Bassan down on the deck and clearly in agony there was nobody near the ball and Richard Fletcher took full advantage, getting to it before it ran dead. As Bassan was carried from the field with suspected medial ligament damage Carl Rudd knocked over the conversion. The bad luck with injuries affected both sides with Rudd and Bannister withdrawn permanently from the action for Haven and Barrow losing Nixon on a stretcher before the 20 minute mark. A Darren Holt penalty on 27 minutes evened up the scores at that point it was the Raiders who were on top. Their former Haven prop Brett McDermott was in the kind of brilliant form that the home supporters remembered of him, Trojan-like in his tackling. Then, against the run of play, Haven went back in front.

The flawless Broadbent defused a high kick from Liam Finch on 32 minutes and set Craig Calvert on his way. Calvert was grounded by the scrambling defence after making 50 meters but they couldn’t reorganise themselves quickly enough, and a couple of phases later the ball found its way back to Fletcher on the other side of the field. From ten yards out it was going to take some effort to stop him and he barged his way over, before missing the conversion himself. That was the signal for Haven to take control and some more genius from Fletcher gave him his hat-trick on 38 minutes. He charged down a Holt kick and raced Nicky Beach to the ball. Beach won the foot race but as he tried to gather Fletcher picked him up and took the ball from him, before going in for the try. Again he missed the conversion. Barrow got one back straight from the kick off. The powerful kick from Holt re-bounded back off the otherwise exceptional Mattinson and Liam Finch passed it out to his brother James who touched down. Holt missed the conversion to leave it 14-10 at the break. The second half continued in the same vein, with defences on top and some massive tackles coming from both sides.

But gradually Haven started to dominate the contest, a reward for their ability to look after possession, and territorially they were well on top when Duffy burrowed over from acting half-back on 53 minutes. Fletcher’s conversion was again wide. The gamebreaker came on the hour, when Lee Dutton spilled the ball in the act of scoring. The big prop was in and only had to ground the ball but a massive tackle from Duffy forced the error. Straight from that scrum Duffy spread the ball to Rob Jackson and he raced away, making 80 meters before a desperate ankle tap from Beach prevented a certain try. It didn’t take away the danger though, and with the Barrow players struggling to make it back Haven spread plat from right to left and Calvert put David Seeds in for a try in the corner. Fletcher again drifted the conversion wide, but it was no clear that the two points would not be crucial. Another score by Jamie Finch, after a superb off-load from Dave Armistead, on 70 raised the visitors’ hopes a little, but those two late tries put the game to bed. First was a brilliant show and go from Duffy (76) who coasted over under the sticks and then, after the final hooter had sounded, came the try of the match from Seeds.

Duffy kept the ball alive as the siren sounded and found Mattinson, who dummied and raced 60 meters from his own half deep into Barrow’s. Mattinson slipped the ball to Seeds who raised the roof at the Kells End. Fletcher converted both.


Gamebreaker: Lee Dutton spilled the ball as he crossed the line on the hour – which would have made the score 18-14 with a simple conversion to come. Haven punished that by going the length of the field and scoring themselves.


Gamestar ; Richard Fletcher gets the nod because of his three tries and his work in defence, but very hard to single out one man from either side. Mattinson, Duffy, Smith, Weisner and McDermott particularly unlucky to miss out.



Haven:1 Gary Broadbent, 2 Craig Calvert, 3 David Seeds, 4 Derry Eilbeck; 5 Rob Jackson; 6 Carl Rudd; 7 John Duffy; 8 Steve Trindall; 9 Aaron Smith; 10 David Fatialofa; 11 Stephen Bannister; 12 Richard Fletcher; 13 Aaron Smith. Subs all used; 14 Graeme Mattinson; 15 Leroy Joe; 16 Ricky Wright; 17 Scott Teare



Fletcher (9, 32, 38) Duffy (53, 76) Seeds (61, 80)

Goals; Rudd 1/1... Fletcher 2/6


Barrow : 1 Michael Bassan; 2 Nicky Beach; 3 Jamie Finch; 4 Liam Harrison; 5 Jamie Nixon; 6 Liam Finch; 7 Darren Holt; 8 Paul Raferty; 9 Andy Ellis; 10 Brett McDermott; 11 Mike Whitehead; 12 Dave Armistead; 13 Pat Weisner. Subs all used: 14 Jamie Marshal; 15 Paul Wilcoc; 16 Lee Dutton; 17 Ian Rawlinson




Nixon (2) J Finch (39, 70)


Holt 1/3

Weisner 0/1


Men of the match

Haven Fletcher

Barrow McDermott


Pens 4-4

Ref; Ron Laughton

Attendance, 1,484

H/T 14-10

Scoring sequence

0-4, 6-4, 6-6, 10-6, 14-6, 14-10, 18-10, 22-10, 22-14, 28-14, 34-14.

WHITEHAVEN School’s all-conquering Year 11 youngsters have been handed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to represent England in the European Federation Under-16 championship in Serbia. They have been given the honour in recognition of taking the Carnegie Champion School’s title in Leeds in March, when they beat last year’s Year 10 champs Malet Lambert of Hull 24-22 in the final.



Back to Winning Ways


WHITEHAVEN edged out Halifax in a cracking game at the Recreation Ground.
The visitors led for much of the game but faded in the second period as Whitehaven's forwards took control. In Haven's last league outing they were beaten at Doncaster by a side who had old stager Graham Holroyd pulling all the strings so you could have forgiven them if they cursed their luck when they saw the shaven headed stand-off taking to the field in a Halifax jersey for this encounter.Rudd racked up points
And in the early part of the game, just as he had at Doncaster, Holroyd ran the show behind a strong forward pack. It took them just four minutes to register the first try of the match, Richard Varkulis evaded the tackle of David Seeds and then as he was grounded by the covering defence was able to slip the ball out to Marcus George. Tim Hartley converted. If that try prompted a few nervous twitches amongst the Haven faithful then 'Fax's second on 11 minutes had them positively reeling.
This time it was Paul Smith who waltzed through a tackle from Carl Rudd and past to Hartley, who coasted over for a try which he then converted.
It wasn't so much the fact that they had registered two quick scores, but the ease with which they were gaining ground and breaking tackles that must have surprised Halifax's travelling supporters. Halifax were in control but some strong running from David Fatialofa gave the home side decent field position and when Richard Fletcher judged the bounce of John Duffy's grubber perfectly on 16 minutes they had a try of their own to celebrate, which Rudd converted. Haven were now gathering momentum, Rob Jackson broke from his own half on 19 minutes but was hauled down by the last man, full back Damien Gibson. However as 'Fax tried to regroup a Greame Mattinson chip and chase was spilled by Gibson. Mattinson hacked on and Gary Broadbent won the foot race to touch down. Rudd again added the extras, and suddenly Halifax's dominant start had been wiped out. Most of the home support thought that their side would now kick on and win comfortably, but Halifax had other ideas. George made a clear break from his own half and was unfortunate to be tackled by the ever reliable Broadbent. The ball found its way to Holroyd who launched a high bomb which, thankfully for Whitehaven, Seeds was able to defuse. However the danger wasn't over, and the next time Halifax got the ball they made their dominance count. Damien Ball made a clear break and managed to get the ball away to Mark Roberts before he was tackled. Roberts ran clear to score and put the visitors back in front. Hartley again tacked on the two.
On 31 minutes the visitors thought they had scored again, a kick through from Holroyd was pounced on in-goal by Gibson, but the full back was adjudged to have fumbled as he grounded the ball. That mistake was to prove costly as Haven went up the other end of the field and scored themselves, Fletcher finishing off a fine move by Duffy and Carl Sice for a try which Rudd converted to level the scores going into the interval.
The visitors started the second half like they were determined to win the match and not fade away like they did when they took on another promotion contender, Widnes, recently. On 42 minutes they regained the lead. The impressive Frank Watene made huge ground up the middle and, with defenders scrambling, a fine long pass from Holroyd to Lee Greenwood put the winger clear. Greenwood gave the ball back inside to Paul Smith who touched down, and the impressive Hartley knocked over his fourth goal of the afternoon. That could have been the cue for Halifax to go on and win the game, but instead it was Whitehaven who took control. On 44 minutes the brilliant Fletcher made a powerful run from his own half and showed great speed to stay clear of the chasing pack. He drew Gibson and then at exactly the right moment he slipped the ball to Derry Eilbeck on his right shoulder. Eilbeck still had 40 metres to go to the line and he looked around for support before backing himself to beat the chasing Marcus George. Eilbeck had the legs and pulled clear to score under the posts. Rudd converted to level the scores again. The game was on a knife edge and for the next 10 minutes the two forward packs engaged in a midfield arm wrestle. Despite the size and strength of Watene and Paul Southern you just felt that Haven, with Fatialofa back to his best and Trindall as strong as ever, would win through as gradually they started to seize control.
Whitehaven steadily built up pressure and on 53 minutes some superb centre play by Seeds made some space for Craig Calvert. Calvert was bundled into touch by the covering defender just before he could ground the ball and, after some great play by Fatialfoa and Leroy Joe on 57 minutes exactly same thing happened again, with the wingman catching the ball just as the scrambling defence bundled him over the whitewash. The pressure finally told on the hour when the otherwise impressive Hartley fumbled Rudd's poor kick through and Eilbeck pounced to give Haven the lead for the first time. Rudd missed his conversion attempt. The home side were now dominating and after Calvert had a try disallowed for a knock on (62) Rob Jackson latched onto Leroy Joe's grubber kick to put Whitehaven two scores clear. Rudd this time converted.
The exception Stephen Banniser wasted a chance to cap a fine individual performance with a try when he spilled the ball having done well to break clear from Duffy's pass (76). But, on 79 minutes, Carl Sice wrapped up the win for Haven -- and denied the visitors a bonus point -- with his trade-mark dive over the line from acting half back. Rudd tacked on the two.

WHITEHAVEN'S forwards took total control in the second half, cutting off Holroyd's supply line, and allowing their own ball players to shine.

Gamestar: Richard Fletcher; two tries, an assist and a stunning defensive effort means Flecther sees off Fatialfoa, Broadbent and Bannister. Joe was magnificent but joined the game too late to be considered. Holroyd impressed for Fax.

1 Gary Broadbent
2 Craig Calvert
3 David Seeds
4 Rob Jackson
5 Derry Eilbeck
6 Carl Rudd
7 John Duffy
8 Steve Trindall
9 Graeme Mattinson
10 David Fatialofa
11 Stephen Bannister
12 Richard Fletcher
13 Aaron Smith
Subs (all used)
14 Carl Sice
15 Leroy Joe
16 Ricky Wright
17 Scott Teare

1 Damian Gibson;
2 Marcus George,
3 Richard Varkulis,
4 Tim Hartley
5 Lee Greenwood;
6 Graham Holroyd ,
7 Ian Watson;
8 Paul Southern,
9 Sam Hoare,
10 David Wrench,
11 David Larder,
12 Paul Smith,
13 Damian Ball.
Subs (all used)
14 Sean Penkywicz,
14 Mark Roberts
16 Aaron Trinder,
17 Frank Watene

Tries; Fletcher (16, 34) Broadbent (19) Eilbeck (44, 60) Jackson (66) Sice (79).
Goals; Rudd 6/7

Tries George (4) Hartley (11) Roberst (26) Smith (42)
Goals; Hartley 4/4

Starmen; Fletcher (Haven)
Holroyd (Fax)
Ref. Mike Dawber
Halftime 18-18
Pens 5-5
Attendance 1, 729
Scoring sequence; 0-6, 0-12, 6-12, 12-12, 12-18, 18-18, 18-24, 24-24, 28-24, 34-24, 40-24.


HAVEN have signed Warrington Wolves teenager Marc Shackley – and he is being tipped as a potential first-teamer this season. The 18-year-old, from Egremont, joined the Super League Wolves on a three-year pro deal at 16.
Loyal fans at the Catalans cup game 2007

Heads held High
Haven 14- Catalan Dragons 24 (4-12)

Jam City Stadium Plans get
big No Vote
In the Allerdale elections those councillors pushing for Town's new stadium get voted off by the Save the Cloffocks candidates....


Saints signing

Whitehaven today signed Saint Helen's youngster Stephen Bannister.

Testimonial Tops
In honour of our Kiwi heroes, Aaron Lester, David Fatialofa and Leroy Joe, special testimonial shirts are due to go on sale at Billy's Unique Sports. They are priced at £25 each.


Richard Fletch and the squad seen earlier as they held kitman Jimmy Clements aloft...read about Jimmy's work for the club .


Video of Laal Sam and Mick Nanyn
against Dons in another Era


Strong Rumours in the Market were Correct

Great new signings for Haven this week including Richard Fletcher, ex-Castleford.
Onwards and upwards !

What are Red Hall Doing now?

Get your calculators out and see what on earth the new points rules mean?
Official explanation of points changes

Also the 'official' WhitehavenRL message board shows David Fatialofa suffered cracked arm in the mud-spattered Derby.



Our friends at Jennings have agreed to provide another year's sponsorship for Haven. Geoff Tarry from Jennings, left shakes the hand of Whitehaven's chairman Des Byrne in the club's Jennings Lounge as the brewery announces that it is staying with the club as a sponsor. With them is record try scorer David Seeds.

New Directors join Board
Former club secretary John Reed has returned to the board alongside new face Phil Clarkin, following the departures of Barry Richardson and Gary Barwise .

John Reed was among those who resigned in 2000 after abusive calls to directors' families after they considered overtures from Town seeking a possible merger.

Seeds Signs up


David Seeds signed a new contract which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2007 season and officials are delighted.

David Seeds has had 300 appearances and over 200 tries for Haven.

Catch me if you can!












New Strip.....



2007 Squad Picture

Craig Calvert's T'rrific Try

To place a plug for your website or shop just email us.

Pride of Five Lottery draw

You can get your application form online here at marras.co.uk















































































www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League