whitehaven rugby league the Marras Get car stickers from Richardsons Wines just £1 each....Find out how to get your car stickers

Highlights 2005

Highlights 2004

Highlights 2003

Highlights 2002

Haven Immortals

Whitehaven's web

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.




This site opposes attempts to impose ID Cards...


Widnes 24 -(18-8) 20 Haven

Widnes....M Smith, D Blanch, G Dodd, S Gleeson (4 goals by Dodd)
Haven.....S Miller 2, L Joe, D Seeds (goals from Rudd 2)
Team: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, R Jackson, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Trindall, Lester, Fatialofa, Miller, Leafa, Rudd
Subs: Mattinson, Hill, M Jackson, McAvoy

Attendance: 4808

Batley Outgunned

Haven 30 (12-0) 0 Batley
WHITEHAVEN came through this tough clash with Batley to keep their season alive.
It was Haven's professional approach to the game, which was littered with penalties, that saw them through in the end. They refused to get drawn into a dog fight with the Bulldogs, keeping their cool and defending magnificently to keep the visitors at bay. And with the likes of John Duffy, Leroy Joe and Aaron Smith in great form going forward, Haven were always likely to score points. The first of those came just six minutes in when Spencer Miller slipped a sublime off-load to David Seeds Three years Seeds would have raced away to score but the seasoned campaigner didn't have the pace to make the line. What he did have was enough experience to run a great angle, holding possession and staying on his feet until he was agonising close to the line, before playing the ball quickly.Leafe and Duffy at the last Hull KR clash Craig Calvert was closest to him and so picked it up and flung it out to John Duffy. With numbers outside him Duffy backed himself, stepping inside Sean Richardson and leaving the big second row clutching at his shadow. He coasted over the line close to the posts, leaving Rudd with the simplest of conversions. On nine minutes Batley broke the Haven line for the very first time, Michael Wainwright's brilliant arching run saw him past Rob Jackson and running at space. Gary Broadbent came across and the kind of man and ball tackle that Haven fans have come to expect of him. He hauled the on-rushing Wainwright to the floor, covering the football and preventing the off-load. But he clung on for a fraction too long on the deck, and referee Steve Ganson had no hesitation in sending him to the sin bin for ten minutes. That was harsh on Broadbent, who is one of the cleanest players in the game, and who looked to be making a genuine effort to get to his feet. He need not have worried about what would happen to his team while he was off the park. On the first phase after the penalty Ollie Marnes spilled the ball forward and the pressure was off. On 15 minutes Haven got their second try. Miller made a half break and then as he was grounded by three Batley tacklers the ball spilled out. While the Bulldogs stood around and waited for a knock on call that never came Mark Leafa reacted, gathering the loose ball before throwing a sidestep and going over the line for a try which Rudd converted. The game was in danger of slipping away from Batley, as it had Rochdale when they came to the Recreation Ground the previous week. Suddenly Haven were making breaks and, on 21 minutes, Calvert thought he had scored after good hands from Broadbent and Seeds. However as the Haven flyer celebrated his score Ganson pulled play back, his linesman having noticed Calvert put and unfortunate foot in touch. After that the Bulldogs had their best spell of sustained pressure, with Jay Duffy -- younger brother of Haven's John, pulling the strings they tried every which way to get over the Haven line. The visitors had several repeat sets, but they might as well have been running into a brick wall as time and again the Haven defence stood firm. Their only hope was that one of Duffy's high kicks might come down from the heavens and into a Batley hand. But even the best of those was gathered, snow cap and all, magnificently by Calvert. On 36 minutes Haven had another try ruled out by Ganson.
Aaron Lester kicked through and the ball was, clear as day, knocked on by a Haven hand before Steve Maden picked it up and sent Rob Jackson under the posts. For some reason Mr Ganson allowed play to continue before, after the try had been scored, calling play back for the knock on. Only instead of giving the knock on he gave a Batley penalty, seemingly for offside, and left everyone scratching their heads. That left the score at 12-0 at the interval, and Batley must at that stage have thought they were in with a shout, especially having come from behind so well at Leigh the previous week. After that game Leigh complained at the way the Bulldogs had gone about their business, a little too rough and ready for the Centurions' liking.
And it was very much the same here. Nobody minds a good hard game but Batley played very much on the edge, they walked the fine line between hard and dirty and, at times, strayed from the path. One such occasion came on 55 minutes when Wainwright thumped into a tackle on Calvert. Calvert tried to get to his feet and play the ball but Wainwright gave no quarter, instead pushing the Haven wingers' tiny frame down into the ground. Greame Mattinson tried to intervene and stop the Batley man from further savaging Calvert. The result? Rather bafflingly a penalty to the visitors. Whitehaven though were doing well not to get drawn in, instead concentrating on their rugby. David Fatialofa, sporting a cut mouth from a first half clash, made a superb charge over the halfway line on 57 minutes. With defenders hanging on every limb Fatialofa slipped a marvellous ball -- easily the pass of the match -- to Spencer Miller.
Miller still had work to do but had the legs, just, to get over the try line before Craig Lingard could bring him down. Rudd landed a tricky two-pointer and when he added a penalty two minutes later it seemed the game was up. Batley were starting to tire, their body language was screaming out that they were a beaten side, and Haven were in the mood to take full advantage.
Another charge from Fatialofa, this time deep in his own half, might have ended in more had Mark Leafa not been taken out off the ball by Chris Langley as he tried to run onto yet another off-load from the big Kiwi. Langley was placed on report for whatever he did to send the on-rushing Haven man to the canvass. On 65 minutes the home side had a third try disallowed, this time Leroy Joe's high, looping ball to David Seeds was adjudged forwards, much to the disappointment of the home fans. They didn't have to wait too long though, when Calvert finally got the try his performance deserved on 71 minutes. The winger, who turned in his best performance in months, backed himself to cut back in and get over the line and he did. Rudd was unlucky with the touchline conversion attempt. There was just time for one more try, Leafa -- who had only one try for the season before this game -- grabbing his second of the afternoon.
He chased Aaron Lester's kick through and got their first, and the hooter sounded just as Carl Rudd added the conversion. So job done for Haven, a professional, disciplined display in front of a crowd of almost 2,000, and the dream of a third successive grand final still alive.
Teams; Haven, Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Steve Trindall, Aaron Smith, David Fatialofa, Spencer Miller, Mark Leafa, Carl Rudd. Subs (all used) Graeme Mattinson, Marc Jackson, Howard Hill, Aaron Lester.
Batley, Craig Lingard, Jamie Stokes, Chris Langley, Ollie Marnes, Michael Wainwright, John Gallagher, Jay Duffy, David Rourke,Kris Lythe, Luke Stenchion, Sean Richardson, Tim Spears, Mark Toohey, Subs (all used) Ash Lindsey, Anthony Henderson, Luke Menzies, Ian Marsh.

Haven Tries, Duffy (6) Leafa (16, 79), Miller (58) Calvert (71).
Goals Rudd, 5/6
Sin Bin Broadbent (9) laying on.
Star Man: John Duffy
Batley On report
Langley (64).
Star Man Jay Duffy.
Attendance 1,906
Ref: Steve Ganson (St Helens)
Pens 11-11
Half time: 12-0
Scoring sequence; 6-0, 12-0, 18-0, 20-0, 24-0, 30-0.

Man of Match for us was:
John Duffy. You could stick a pin in the Haven side and make a case for anyone from the 17, particularly Fatialofa and Joe, but Duffy's kicking controlled things and he made some outstanding tackles too. Gamebreaker. Haven's outstanding defence when Batley had a number of repeat sets in the first half. If you don't concede points you don't lose rugby matches.


Friday Sept 29 enjoy an evening with former St Helens coach Ian Millward in the JJ McKeown bar. The event will be compered by David Howes. There will be a pie and pea supper and the cost is £10 for Vice Presidents members and £12 for those who are not. Tickets for this superb night will be on sale in the club office at the Hull KR game next week.
Batley Next, Taa Very Much!




Haven 38- Rochdale 10
In lively and fluid play Haven left the hornets without any sting. The first 20 minutes saw Hornets with nil points as Haven racked up a string of well executed and bold passing moves. Man of the Match was David Fatialofa and amongst highlights saw Rob Jackson make three tries.

Aaron Smith charged down in the opening minute to give a taster of things to come.Spence Miller followed on the score sheet and Rudd converted. (10-0)
In a wonderful piece of play the ball looped out along the line for Calvert to sprint home in the corner. The ever inventive Duffy then scored as Haven relaxed into their winning pattern. Rudd converted. After a Hornet's knock on Seeds grabbed a try (converted) Snatching from a knocked forward ball Rochdale got their consolation try before half-time 26-4. The second half started slower before Rob Jackson scored two in succession.
King then got a second for the visitors.
TRIES: A Smith, S Miller, C Calvert, J Duffy, D Seeds, R Jackson 3
Squad: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, R.Jackson, S.Maden, Joe, Duffy, Trindle, A.Smith, Fatialofa, Miller, Leafa, Rudd; G.Mattinson, M.Jackson, Hill and Lester.
The game saw former Town player, Matt Sturm cheered as it was announced his retirement from the game.

Zanny Fans?

LHF Healthplan, official sponsor of the LHF Healthplan National League, is warming up for the National League playoffs by launching the ‘Most Superstitious Whitehaven Fan’ search. With the season reaching its climax, LHF Healthplan is looking to discover all the out of the ordinary pre-match rituals fans of The Marras undertake to give their team every chance of victory – however unusual these may be.

An LHF judging panel will select the zaniest and most unusual entries from devoted supporters and a winner from Whitehaven will win a pair of tickets to the National League Final at Warrington Wolves’ Halliwell Jones Stadium on Sunday 8th October 2006. The tickets will also allow the winning fan access to the players bar to mingle with some of the stars from the National League.

Jane Fenwick, Director of Marketing, LHF Healthplan, said: “Finding out the superstitions of fans supporting teams in the LHF Healthplan National League is a new initiative we have launched to get closer to the supporters who are the lifeblood of National League rugby.


“I’m sure Whitehaven fans will have some fantastic tales to tell outlining the pre-match rituals they undertake to ensure their team is victorious as we reach the thrills and spills of the play-offs this season.”

So, do you have any weird or wonderful superstitions you undertake ahead of your team’s matches? If so, send details of your superstition (in no more than 50 words) and your full contact details including telephone number to matt@ptarmiganpr.co.uk or send a postcard to, LHF Superstitious Fan Competition, Ptarmigan, Airedale House, 423 Kirkstall Road, Leeds, LS4 2EZ.

Deadline for entries is 29 September 2006.

LHF Healthplan is helping people everywhere to tackle the costs of everyday healthcare treatments. LHF Healthplan provides money back towards the costs of dental care, eye care, physiotherapy and much more from just £ 3.06 a week. For more information visit www.lhfhealthplan.co.uk/rugby/ or call 0800 056 036

Racking up the Points

THE Recreation Ground fell silent to pay tribute to one of its favourite sons, John James McKeown, who died last week.
The legend, who scored over 1,000 points for the club, was reckoned by many to be the greatest player ever to pull on the chocolate, blue and gold, and the minutes silence to honour him was impeccably observed by the 1,764 strong crowd.

JJ, who played in the clubs' first ever game back in 1948, would have been impressed by the clubs current charges, who paid their own 12 try tribute to great man.
Racking up 66 points against any opposition is a good way to finish the season.
But in truth Haven will have to improve in the play-offs, where they will face far sterner tests the divisions whipping boys Oldham were able to give them.
The scoring started as early as the second minute, Rob Jackson racing onto a flat pass from John Duffy and ignoring calls from Craig Calvert on his outside to out strip the Oldham defence and score ion the corner, Carl Rudd obliged with a tricky touchline conversion.
The visitors had hardly had time to gather their thoughts and Jackson was in again (4).
This time he exploded onto a ball from David Fatialofa and raced away for his second try in the space of four minutes. Rudd again added the extras as some of the visiting fans must have started to wonder why they'd made the long trip north.
Whitehaven themselves were guilty of thinking they would run up a cricket score, and some indecision gave the visitors their first taste of the action with a scrum close to the Haven posts. Phil Farrell picked the ball up at its base and fed Paul Ashton.
With Haven defenders standing idle Aston darted over the whitewash to offer hope to the visitors. He failed to convert his own score. Oldham were offering little in attack or defence but Whitehaven's insistence on playing Globetrotter rugby meant that time and again passes went to ground and the visitors were let off the hook.
Craig Calvert, in particular, was guilt of letting try scoring chances slip by but he was not the only. With all the fancy-dan passing and forced off-loads it was ironic that the next try came the first time Haven kept it simple. Aaron Smith backed himself to go from acting half back and had the strength to force his way over the line. Rudd missed this time with the conversion. Two minutes later Haven were in again, Craig Calvert finally making the most of a chance when Rob Jackson unselfishly put him in in the corner, Rudd was again wide of the mark with the conversion. The duo linked up again when Jackson, who was running Oldham ragged, made a superb break and then spread the ball to Calvert, who got over the whitewash for his second try, Rudd missed the conversion,
The game was put to bed when, in the 38th minute, Derrie Eilbeck went on a mazy run from 20 metres out and touched down near the posts, Rudd added the extras.
The visitors emerged late from the dressing room for the second half and must have wished they had not emerged at all when only a minute in, Leroy Joe scored yet another Haven try.
A combination of strong running from Howard Hill and sloppy tacking from the Oldham defence allowed Hill to charge through three, he then got the ball away to John Duffy who made a half break, going into space before releasing Joe on his inside. Rudd again added the extras.
Oldham have endured a dreadful season of injured, and two of the substitutes they named for this game, Gareth Barber and Mark Roberts, were not fit to take any part.
With a two man bench they were always going to find it tough, and their cause was not helped with Dean Gorton was sin-binned on 55 minutes for laying on.
Gorton was the fifth or sixth Oldham player guilty of slowing play down, and could have little complaint as he was sent to the dug-out.
On 56 minutes Greame Mattinson sparked into life, making a break from halfway and the releasing Duffy when faced by Oldham full back Desi Williams.
Duffy scored under the posts and Rudd added a simple two pointer.
Next it was the turn of Haven prop Neil Baynes to get his name on the scoresheet.
Basher Baynes bulldozed his way over the whitewash on 63 minutes and Rudd added the extras.
Six minutes later Duffy got his second, making a superb jinxing run to get clear of the defence before touching down, Rudd made it good.
On 75 minutes Spencer Miller got the try that his all action man-of-the-match performance had deserved, finishing off after yet another Duffy break for a try which Rudd converted.
There was just time for one more Duffy break, this time the talented scrum half ghosted through the defence and, somewhat unselfishly considering he was on a hat-trick, passed the ball to Mark Leafa after he had got over the line. Rudd converted again.
Teams; Haven, Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, Rob Jackson, Derrie Eilbeck, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Steve Trindall, Aaron Smith, David Fatialofa, Spencer Miller, Mark Leafa, Carl Rudd, Subs, all used, Greame Mattinson, Marc Jackson, Howard Hill, Neil Baynes.
Oldham, Desi Williams, Andy Gorley, Dean Gorton, Alan Hadcroft, Alex Wilkinson, Ian Hodson, Paul Ashton, David Best, John Hough, Ged Corcoran, Lee Wingfield, Sion Williams, Phil Farrel. Subs (used) Chris Baines, Gareth Haynes (not used) Gareth Barber, Mark Roberts.

Haven; tries, Jackson (2, 4) Smith (20), Calvert (22, 35) Eilbeck (38), Joe (41), Duffy (56, 69) Baynes (63), Miller (75) Leafa (80).
Goals, Rudd 9/12
Star Man Spencer Miller

Oldham; Tries, Ashton (6)
Goals Ashton, 0/1
Sin Bin, Gorton (laying on)
Star Man, Paul Aston.

Attendance, 1, 764
Ref, Peter Taberner
Half time 30-4
Scoring, 6-0, 12-0, 12-4, 16-4, 20-4, 24-4, 30-4, 36-4, 42-4, 48-4, 54-4, 60-4, 66-4.
Pens, 10-3 in Haven's favour.

Our Man of Match; Rob Jacksons two tries in the first four minutes put this game out of reach for the visitors.

News of new Commercial Manager leaked on Marras message board

Adieu to Haven Great
JJ pulls a pint to open the bar named in his honour in 2002
John McKeown passed away on Tuesday aged 80.
The former full-back, who made a club record 417 appearances for Haven

Halifax 18- Haven 26(full time)..

Haven squad: Broadbent, Lebbon, R Jackson, Eilbeck, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Trindall, A Smith, Fatialofa, Miller, Leafa, Rudd. Subs: Mattinson, Wright, Hill, Teare.

Tries: Joe, Hill, R Jackson, Maden, Eilbeck. Goals: Duffy 3.
Halifax: Gibson, Kirk, Haley, Blackwood, George, Penny, Brambani, Smith, Hoyle, Wrench, Larder, Whittaker, Ball. Subs: Lawford, Boult, Clough, Hayes.

Tries: Ball, George, Clough. Goals: Haley 2, Brambani 1.

Attendance: 2,242. Referee: Ian Smith

Signed up

Derry Eilbeck signs two year deal with Haven (September 2006)

Christmas Clash
faces Jammies

Haven entertain Town on Friday, December 29 at 7pm. The match will see the teams fight for the honour of the Ike Southward Memorial Trophy.

Hull Humbled by Haven Power

Haven 48 (28 - 0) Hull KR 12
August 20 2006

Lebbon's second of the Hull gamePutting the Past the Pelican Blues well behind them Haven enjoyed strong open play to grasp Hull KR throughout this tough but entertaining game. John Duffy was on form and neatly skipped another in the Haven wing to feed rising star John Lebbon for the opener.(pictured at his second try) Then ace kicker Rudd touched down a high kick fed to him in the corner by that man Duffy.
When Welland missed a high lobbed kick Steve Madden didn't waste a second in grounding the ball. Soon after there was a runnaway break through as Madden pelted along the wing for his second.
To put the gloss on a superb first half showing Leroy Joe scored with his own drive and agility.
In the second period Mattinson helped earn his Man of the Match award by diving over on the left wing. Matty Brooks then gained a consolation try for the visitors, which was converted and the tarvelling army started raising their expectations,in vain. Power brokwer Howard Hill took the opportunity of last tackle to score. Ellis then responded for Hull but soon after a much stronger and fitter Spence Miller powered home. Final try came from Egremont's local hero Lebbon.
The crowd observed a minute's silence in honour of Jack Graham.
Broadbent, Lebbon, Seeds, Eilbeck, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Trindall, A Smith, Fatialofa, Miller, Leafa, Rudd
Subs: Mattinson, Hill, Teare, Wright

Gate 2063

 Much improved Ricky!


Hull KR web site

Dismal at York
WHITEHAVEN crashed out to a 28-18 defeat to a side who have beaten only bottom-club Oldham this season and are set for relegation. Home 'one-to-watch' Lee Mapals had already played in the curtain-raising Under-21s match between the clubs, but Haven rarely tested his inexperience or fitness and indeed the youngster had the last word with the final try of the match, after Steve Maden failed to deal with a chip to the corner. Maden allowed another York try due to an error. Those two tries turned a probable win into defeat for Haven. John Duffy scored a first half try for Haven. York had made their ownb errors in the rain and Lester was quick to snatch a try after a York slip up. D.Eilbeck then grabbed a well earned try for Haven and Rudd kept up steady conversions but the home side were up for it and took a penalty.




As usual Sice was unstoppable, but unfortunately he was posted on the U21 squad sheet (Haven beat York 24-48 in this match). Off the pitch Carl has the prospect of a few days as the guest of the Queen to contend with.


Error prone Win against Lakers
Whitehaven 22 - Doncaster Lakes 12
August 6 2006


 Takes three men to get Neil down!












Clammy wet weather generated plenty of dropped balls and fluffed passes for both sides in this fairly slender home win. Trindall enjoyed a more forceful game and opened the scoring. Rudd converted. But within ten minutes Leaf replied for the Dons and the scoreline of 6-6 reflected the lack of game breaking plans from either side.
Leroy Joe and Craig Calvert did their classic one-two with a well placed kick to corner for the winger to catch and touch down. Rudd converted from wide to leave the half-time score 12-6.

In the second half Leafa threw away an open way through after Neil Baines made one of his successful bulldozer break throughs.

Rudd kicked a penalty to help the home side put some space between the sides. The Haven stalwarts of Fatialofa and Leroy Joe then threw the Dons defences aside to give Calvert a clear run through to make if 18-6. Rudd again kicked brilliantly to convert as he did after David Seeds took the game to the Kells End and generated a penalty.
Gate; 1829

Haven: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Fatialofa, Aaron Smith, Trindall, Lester, Leafa, Rudd; Mattinson, R.Wright, Hill and Baines.

Doncaster: Royston, DeanColton, Epati, Mossop, Mills, Holroyd, Weeden, Handforth, Green, Lawton, Robson, Lowe, Leaf, Cuffe, Ross, Castle and Tonk.
Referee (often confusingly) Smith.

Bulldogs beaten
Batley 12 (0-6) 20 Haven
Tries from Lester, Seeds and Madden . Goalkicker Rudd.

Lots of Action Shots here.....http://batleybulldogs.fotopic.net/

Leigh go down Again!
Leigh 12 (6-8) 22 Haven
Tries for Haven from Maden, Calvert and Seedsy, goals from Chris Rudd.

Slap in Face from RL HQ

In July 2006 the News and Star states Red Hall has barred Haven from Super League 2007 because of the lack of progress over ground improvements at Recreation Ground. Of course if you are Catalan then no problem getting into SL! Later RFL claimed no firm decision yet...will it always stay as a Stadium in our Dreams?

Washington Backing for Haven
July 2006
Whitehaven’s major backer Washington Group International was at the Recreation Ground this week to present a £5,000 cheque and reiterate the company’s long-term commitment to the club.

Haven 42 York 24
July 9 2006
Widnes 26 - 12 (14 - 6) Whitehaven
July 2 2006

The Fight Back Kings

Haven 32 (0-16) 22 Leigh.
Despite being two men down after a grim first half performance Haven set the recre alive with a fight back that saw some superb tries from Calvert(3), Duffy, McAvoy and Maden.

The match saw fists flying in the first half and both Leigh and Haven players were sin binned. Superb work from Duffy, Joe and Sice....some great feeds from Derry Eilbeck and Maden. Good to see David Fatilofa on the road to full fitness again. Once more Leroy Joe was playmaker with the crucial high and also grubber kicks that opened the way for Craig Calvert to sprint through...and sometimes onwards into the Kells End crowd!

Tries For Leigh: D Halliwell, C Forber, L Greenwood, J Taylor, Goals For Leigh:
M Govin 3.
Tries For Whitehaven: C Calvert 3, J Duffy, S Maden, S McAvoy. Goals For Whitehaven:
C Rudd (4
Haven: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds (Cpt.), Eilbeck, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Jackson, Smith, Trindall, McAvoy, Leaf, Rudd, Sice, Wright, Hill, Fatialofa.

Ten Grand for Lotto winner
Charlie Maudling from Charlies Menswear celebrates winning the Haven £10,000 lottery


Rotheram still in Firing Line...
Hull K R 74 - 12 Whitehaven
Tries from G Broadbent, D Seeds
Whitehaven: Gary Broadbent , Craig Calvert , David Seeds , Derry Eilbeck , Steve Maden , Leroy Joe , Carl Rudd , Marc Jackson , Aaron Smith , Steve Trindall , Scott McAvoy , Howard Hill , Mark Leafa , Carl Sice , Scott Farmer , Chris McKinney , Scott Teare .

Rochdale 32 (13 - 0) 6 Whitehaven
After the crashing defeat at Rochdale the club's official message board has fans starting to question Dave Rotheram's leadership.
The squad playing at Rochdale was : Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, Eilbeck, Maden, Joe, Duffy, Hill, Sice, Trindall, McAvoy, Leafa, A Smith
Subs: Barker, Jackson, McKinney, D Smith.

Try scorer was Steve Maden.
Match report on Hornets site

Haven Fight Back
Dynamic duo of Sice and Duffy


WHITEHAVEN staged a thrilling comeback to deny Halifax at the finale of an exciting game.
Two late tries gave Haven the win in this cracker, a result which had looked unlikely when Halifax got their noses in front for the first time with just four minutes left on the clock.
James Haley's simple conversion after Dean Lawford's try on 76 minutes gave the visitors an 18-20 lead, and as Haven's players trudged back to kick off they looked a beaten side.
But they grabbed two scores from nowhere to claim a 30-20 victory.
The sides were evenly matched in the opening exchanges, with the two big packs carrying the ball well. Although Haven held a slight territorial advantage it was 'Fax who almost broke the deadlock. John Duffy tried to move the ball wide but Anthony Blackwood intercepted and raced away. Nobody was going to catch him, but fortunately for Haven he was pulled back by referee Ian Smith for being offside. A few minutes later Carl Sice nearly got over the whitewash as he chased Leroy Joe's kick through, but a kind bounce allowed Brad Attwood to put the ball out. Sice was at the heart of the move which finally saw the game's first points on 12 minutes. He made a superb break from his own half, skipping out of half a dozen tackles before releasing Duffy on his inside. Duffy didn't have the legs to out-strip Attwood and tried to fling the ball out to Craig Calvert. However Attwood raised his arms to block the pass and had dreadful luck as it bounced off them and back into Duffy's path. Duffy gathered the ball and touched down, before adding the extras.
On 20 minutes Sice backed himself to go from acting half-back after good work from debutant Mark Leafa. Sice dummied and ducked his shoulder, but looked to have failed until- he stretched out an arm and grounded the ball. Duffy again added the extras.
Sice was running riot and it was something of a surprise when Dave Rotheram pulled him off for a well earned breather immediately following his try. Without the busy Sice pulling the strings for the home side they went a little flat, and ex Haven man Joel Penny teamed up with Dean Lawford to start to give the visitors a foothold in the game.
Penny gave a fantastic flat ball to Blackwood close to the Haven line on 26 minutes.
Blackwood slipped the ball to Marcus George, the tall wing man touched down in the corner and Haley was unlucky to see his touchline conversion come back off the crossbar.
The same pair combined again five minutes later. This time it was Lawford's kick that Blackwood gathered before releasing George for his second try. Haley added the extras.
It was no shock to see Sice reintroduced at half-time, and he took little over a minute to grab his second try, again backing himself from close range. Duffy added the extras.
However for all their effort Haven were unable to kill Halifax off, and you got the feeling that they would get a chance to score themselves at some point.
That chance came on 69 minutes, and Damien Ball took it after good work from Andy Kirk. Haley missed the conversion but 'Fax could sniff victory.
George made a great break from his own half and moved the ball back inside to Radney Bowker on 75 minutes. Bowker didn't quite have the legs to make it all the way to the line but from the next play-the-ball Lawford scurried over. Haley's conversion looked to have won it with time ticking away.
However McAvoy managed to flick Duffy's kick off back to Hill. Later in the set McAvoy made a superb break before finding Hill on the inside, and he broke Halifax hearts when he forced his way over. Duffy added the extras.
The Halifax players could have been forgiven for having tears in their eyes, but they couldn't get Teare in their arms as he burst clear from his own half, making a 40 metre break from the kick off.
Sice ran across the field and then found Hill, who put Craig Calvert away to score as the hooter sounded. Duffy added the extras to finish with a five from five attempts.
The result was probably a fair reflection, but both sets of players can walk away with their heads held high -- what a cracking game of rugby league.

Haven, Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, Derrie Eilbeck, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Neil Baynes, Carl Sice, Steve Trindall, Scott McAvoy, Howard Hill, Mark Leafa, Subs(all used) Marc Jackson, Aaron Smith, Ricky Wright, Scott Teare.

Fax, Brad Attwood, James Haley, Andy Kirk, Anthony Blackwood, Marcus George, Radney Bowker, Dean Lawford, John Simpson, Simeon Hoyle, Jason Boults, Lee Harland, Andy Spink, Damien Ball, Subs (all used)Joel Penny, Jode Sheriffe, Ryan McDonald, Byron Smith.

Tries, Duffy (12) Sice (20, 41) Hill (78) Calvert (80)
Goals, Duffy 5/5

George (26, 31) Ball (69) Lawford (75)
Goals,Haley, 2/4

Attendance, 2,048
Ref Ian Smith (Oldham)
HT 12-10
Pens, 6-3 in Haven's favour.

BNG step up to the Plate

Media reports that BNG is willing to invest £1/2 million in superleague stand for Recreation ground have been confirmed by BNG. But the deal also depends on grant aid, which has yet to get clearance.

Meanwhile get ready for more signings....


Grim Cup result
Warrington Wolves 46 - Haven 2

Leafa for Haven

Mark Leafa could run out at the Recre against Haifax next Sunday.

The Samoan forward played for Leigh last year. He will team up with his former Leigh team-mates John Duffy, Steve Maden and Rob Jackson.

Scott Teare Straight onto the Scoresheet

Oldham 10...Haven 48
Whitehaven welcomed back Craig Walsh and Chris McKinney.
Carl Sice continues his run of good form with a hat trick.
Whitehaven : Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Neil Baynes , Carl Sice , Steve Tindall, Ricky Wright , Howard Hill, Carl Rudd Subs: Derry Eilbeck, Scott McAvoy, Craig Walsh, Scott Teare.


Slippin and Sliding

May 7 Away defeat at Hull KR
Hull KR 37- Haven 10
Sice and Rob Jackson both scored but the result was as many had feared...Follwing report from Hullkr.co.uk:
THE Rockin Robins continued their victory roll as they disposed of a battling Whitehaven side hard hit by injuries.
There is no doubt the Cumbrians came to slow down Rovers' quick play the ball. But Dewsbury referee Jamie Leahy was having none of it and by half time the penalty count was something like 10-1 in Rovers’ favour.
And while it did slow the Robins down, it also made sure the visitors were starved of the ball for long periods.
Bearing that in mind the Cumbrians did look dangerous going forward with Carl Sice being a lively customer all afternoon. Former Rovers’ men Howard Hill and Leroy Joe put themselves about, although Joe was not at his best.
Rovers’ on-loan prop Sebastien Martins did not even have the benefit of a run out with the team before making his debut from the bench but he made a sound contribution and looks as if his loan period will be a fruitful one.
All the early pressure came from Rovers and the Robins showed their intent in the third minute when David Tangata-Toa produced a fair impression of Michael Smith in full flight, crashing over the line with three Cumbrian defenders hanging on to him.
With French ace Damien Couturier out injured kicking duties fell to Gareth Morton and the Scottish rugby union international stepped up to slot over the conversion.
Leroy Joe managed to get his side on the move but his kick went dead as Craig Calvert tried to get a hand to it.
Rovers were only temporarily halted though and six minutes later Tommy Gallagher sent forward and as he was halted just short of the line he managed to pop the ball up out of the tackle and Morton was on hand to take the pass and touch down before adding the conversion.
And whether it was part of the slowing down process or not Whitehaven were showing a tendency to go high in the tackle, not always penalised by the referee. But when Steve Trindall went high on Tangata-Toa in the 11th minute Morton was again on target.
Ben Fisher and Jon Goddard put in telling efforts but Whitehaven defended manfully until the 24th minute when Scott Teale found himself on the way to the sin-bin for an offence at the play the ball.
A minute later the Cumbrians paid a double penalty as Gallagher went in for a try which Morton converted to take the score to 20-0 in Rovers’ favour.
Rovers kept on attacking with Steel only being halted by a desperate effort from Craig Calvert who injured himself in the process and had to leave the field.
Michael Smith was producing his usual blend of power, footwork and offloading skills and he too went close.
New boy Seb Martins showed a little of his French Super League pedigree with a neat offload to Jon Goddard but the centre put the ball down.
Morton almost got on the end of a kick from Webster whose kicking game got the side about the park well, aided by some slick running from young Scott Murrell.
As halftime approached Smith again went close, Goddard kept the pressure on by forcing Maden into touch and in the dying seconds of the half Murrell found himself unmarked in front of the posts and calmly slotted over the field goal which saw Rovers into a 21-0 lead at the break.
From the restart Baynes and Joe got themselves in a bit of a tangle as Rovers went straight back on the offensive.
And from the scrum which followed Ben Cockayne showed how dangerous he can be when he went on a curving run to Rovers' left and scorched in to touchdown in the corner.
Morton’s attempted conversion from the touchline just faded across the face of the posts.
Then Goddard forced Broadbent into conceding a drop out under the posts. Showing no inclination to drop off the pace Rovers kept on pressing and on 47 minutes Murrell produced an unexpected switch kick off his left foot and Morton read it well to touchdown.
From the right hand side, facing Preston Road, Morton smacked the conversion clean between the uprights to make it 31 points without reply.
Morton then made a telling break before finding Steel and it appeared the winger only had Gary Broadbent to beat, but somehow the Cumbrians managed to prevent their line from being crossed again.
Just before the hour Rovers eased off a little and Leroy Joe provided the pass which ended with Carl Sice crossing for a try converted by Carl Rudd.
And nine minutes later John Duffy, who had a sound enough game, carved out an opening for Rob Jackson to touchdown. This time Rudd’s conversion attempt was sliced wide.
But the last word went to Rovers. Morton, the man of the match, headed for the try line and looked to have lost the ball in the tackle. But somehow instead of knocking on he knocked the ball backwards and while defenders waited to see what was going on Steel picked the ball up and ran behind the posts to touch down for the final try, converted by Morton.

Squad: Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Marc Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Neil Baynes, Carl Sice, Steve Tindall, Ricky Wright, Howard Hill, Carl Rudd
Subs: Derry Eilbeck, Scott McAvoy, John Lebbon, Scott Teale.
Hull K R: Ben Cockayne, Leroy Rivett, Gareth Morton, Jamie Goddard, Jon Steel, Scott Murrell, James Webster, Makali Aizue, Ben Fisher, David Tangata-Toa, Ian Morrison, Michael Smith, Tommy Gallacher
Subs: James Garmston, Gareth Price., Jason Netherton, Sebastien Martins.
Referee: Jamie Leahy
Attendance: 2366

Outclassed by the Vikings

April 30 2006
Haven 16 (2-20) 38 Widnes (U21s Featherstone Rovers...70-18 Whitehaven)

Nice view of the back of Steve Mac's head!


It is to be hoped Haven got enough of a payoff when Steve Mac poached Mr Nanyn and the others, as Widnes kept hold of this match by the scruff of the neck throughout.











Haven had spells when they had the fire to fight back but they let slip opportunities. John Duffy had a great game giving the second try, but soon after he sadly had a mix up and left the door open for Widnes to start scoring again in the second spell.

Leroy Joe was as ever creative and inspirational, but too late for a strong enough come back despite the Kells End roar.

That man Nanyn was all over the shop for Widnes as was McDermott and O'Connor. The Big Fella, Neil Baines won the crowd's backing for his battering ram drives and neat offloads.

Haven try scorers Craig Calvert, Duffy and Leroy Joe (Man of Match).
Referee was Peter Taberner
Attendance: 3040
Haven: Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Derry Eilbeck, Carl Rudd, Leroy Joe, Neil Baynes, John Duffy, Chris McKinney, Ricky Wright, Howard Hill, Steve Trindall
Subs: Sice, S. Farmer, Craig Walsh, Craig Chambers

Widnes: Gavin Dodd, John Kirkpatrick, Adam Bowman, Mick Nanyn, Paul O'Connor, James Coyle, Ian Watson, Terry O'Connor (Mick Cassidy) Mark Smith, Barrie McDermott, Ryan Tandy, Bob Beswick, David Allen
Subs: Aaron Summers, Danny Heaton, Paul Crook, Mick Cassidy


Still Unbeaten

Haven 38- 30 Sheffield

Back on his wing Craig Calvert
Now we face Hull KR



Second Half Wobble but a well earned win
Haven 38- 24 Rochdale

Injury scare as Scott McAvoy helped off

The first half score of 24-0 is deceptive as Rochdale were a big, often fast moving side that could just have given Haven a problem after Marc Jackson was red carded for a blatant attack on a man down. Luckily the rest of the Haven squad earned their spurs with Rudd kicking to perfection, including converting one of his own tries. For many he was M of the Match, but the official M of M was the equally deserving John Duffy. He like Leroy Joe seemed to be everywhere all the time both in attack and defence. Once again Sice proved he could slice through any defence like a knife through butter.

One of the truly inspiring points in this exciting fixture (Gate of 2,000 plus) came when in the closing minutes of the first half play maker Duffy passed to Rob Jackson who moved it on to Eilbeck who quick fire passed it back up the line to a flying Howard Hill. As well as Jackson's stupid fisting the macth also saw a Haven player headbutted and a mini-brawl in the closing minutes of the first half. Yellow cards were dished out to Rob Jackson and Richard Vorbulis over this spat.
Tries: Sice , Rudd , Maden (2) Eilbeck, Hill
Conversions: Rudd; 6 plus one penalty.

Squad: Broadbent, Eilbeck, Seeds, Rob Jackson, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, J.Duffy, McKinney, Sice, Trindall, McAvoy, Hill, Rudd. Subs Marc Jakcosn, Chem and Baines
The incident that saw two men yellow carded


Still Unbeaten...But...
Doncaster 32 (21 - 12) 32 Haven
Tries:S Maden, C Calvert, J Duffy, M Jackson, D Seeds Goals; C Rudd 4, M Jackson 2


Haven 26 - Batley 8 (April 9 2006 clash at Recre)

Haven having beaten Batley at Mount Pleasant a week ago in the Challenge Cup, Haven lived up to expectations early on, taking the lead on seven minutes after a brilliant move on the right hand side.
John Duffy shipped the ball out to Rob Jackson and the centre drew his man and released Derrie Eilbeck outside him. It was as Mike Wainwright bundled the former Brow player into touch he cleverly threw the ball back inside to Jackson, who gathered the pass and raced away to score under the posts. Carl Rudd added.
Batley had seldom threatened the Haven line when out of nowhere the Bulldogs got level. Mark Toohey gave a defence splitting pass to Craig Lingard joining the line from full-back. Lingard was too strong for his opposite number, Steve Maden, and pushed him off to touch down close to the sticks. Steve Jones converted and then, on 21 minutes, a penalty to put the visitors in front.
That sparked them into life and as Haven seemed to struggle to control the ball the Bulldogs grew in confidence.
Whitehaven were still struggling to complete sets, which was keeping the pressure off the Bulldogs. However, they did manage keep hold of the ball long enough for Craig Chambers to give them back the lead on 32 minutes. John Duffy crafted open a gap for the bustling second row, who was unstoppable form five yards out. Rudd missed the kick.
Haven could have had another try before the break but it was disallowed after Maden and Sean Richardson clashed and referee Peter Taberner rightly brought play back, denying Haven a try that their play had deserved. It was 10-8 at the interval. Whitehaven got it through Chambers again, powering over the whitewash on 46 minutes. However Carl Rudd was having a bad day with the boot and he missed the kick-able conversion to leave Batley within a converted try. Jones missed a penalty for the Bulldogs and then Rudd did likewise for Haven before finally kicking one to stretch the lead a little further. In the meantime John Duffy was sent to the sin bin for dissent The game was getting scrappy, and no player likes a scrap as much as Marc Jackson. Forced into an extended stay by an injury to Neil Baynes, Jacko was in the thick of everything with some massive tackling and barnstorming runs up the field. He has always been a rugged defender, and a tough, deceptively quick ball carrier, but under Dave Rotheram Jackson seems to have developed an eye for an off-load, something that will make him one of the best prop forwards in the competition. Batley had Ian Marsh sent off for a shocking high tackle on Mark Deans on 67 minutes. Deans made a big impact when he was introduced, but not as big as the one that Carl Sice did.
The hooker returned to the action after being given a spell off the field and announced his arrival with a try on 72 minutes. It was vintage Sice, flashing a dummy before scurrying over from acting half-back. Rudd added the extras. Having shown what he could do from five metres there was just about time for him to show what he could do from. Sice made a sensational break up the middle of the park, deep in his own half. As he galloped up to half way he had little by the way of support and so attempted to outstrip Lingard. The Bulldogs full-back had enough pace to catch Sice with fully 30 metres to go to the line, but he hadn't reckoned with a powerful hand-off and as he went sprawling to the floor the Haven hooker was able to streak away and score in front of a delighted Kells End.
Rudd again missed the conversion to leave the final score at Haven 26-8 Batley

 Neil drives forward...coming thru!

 Action from the Under 21s game against Batley
More U21 action







Haven, Steve Maden, Derrie Eilbeck, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Craig Calvert, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Neil Baynes, Carl Sice, Steve Trindall, Scott McAvoy, Howard Hill, Carl Rudd. Subs (all used) Mark Deans, Craig Chambers, Marc Jackson, Greame Mattinson.

Batley, Craig Lingard, Jamie Stokes, Ian Marsh, Steve Jones, Mike Wainwright, Mark Toothey, Jay Duffy, David Rouke, Andy Boothroyd, Luke Stenchion, Sean Richardson, Tim Spears, John Gallagher, Subs (all used) Kris Lythe, Martin McLaughlin, Martin Kenyon, Ashley Lindsey.


Ref. Peter Taberner (Wigan)
Cup away to Batley
April 2 2006

Duffy on the move again 


At Mount not so Pleasant Haven tries from Seeds (2), Rob Jackson, Eilbeck, Sice, Rudd (2)
Whitehaven squad : Steve Maden, Daniel Smith, David Seeds, Rob Jackson, Derry Eilbeck, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Neil Baynes, Carl Sice, Steve Tindall, Scott McAvoy, Howard Hill, Carl Rudd Subs: Mark Deans, Marc Jackson, Chris McKinney, Craig Chambers







RL Div 1 Cash Offer
won't hold Haven Back from SL

WHITEHAVEN will reject a £100,000 sweetener to stay in NL1 next season if they win this season’s Grand Final, according to the News and Star The six-figure offer to prospective NL1 Grand Final winners was announced at the National League launch at Oulton Park race circuit in Cheshire on March 30 2006.

But Des Byrne said it held no appeal to Haven, who are confident they have the squad to earn promotion to the top-flight, after losing the last two Grand Finals.

(See Dave Rotheram with his new car at Oulton ..given to him by LHF Healthplan, Yorkshire’s leading Healthplan provider....well they wouldn't let him keep the car!)


Gateshead 20 - 44 Whitehaven
Attendance only 400.
Tries: Peers, Stephenson , Jeffries , Cakacaka .
Conversions: Birch (2)

Tries: Rudd , Sice (2) Jackson (2) McAvoy ,Deans , Smith ,
Conversions: Rudd (6)
Gateshead Thunder: Stephenson, Brown, Jeffries, Aderiye, Peers, Glass, Birch, Line, Thorman, Cakacaka, Bradley, Gocher, Burley
Subs; (all used) Rowe, St.Bernard, Rutherford, Neighbour
Whitehaven: O'Neill, Calvert, Seeds, R.Jackson, Smith, Joe, Bainbridge, Baynes, Sice, Trindall, McAvoy, Walsh, Rudd
Subs; (all used) Barker, Deans, McKinney, M.Jackson
Star Man: Carl Rudd
Referee: Paul Carr (Castleford)

Town beaten 0-48 in Latest Derby


Wilkes off to Wigan, some say for £20,000

Wilkie in the Barrow game

The 25-year-old only played six games for Haven before going on an 18 month contract to SL Wigan.

Challenge Cup Draw

4th round draw:
Matches to be played 1 and 2 April:
Featherstone v Keighley
Catalans Dragons v Thornhill Trojans
Swinton v York
Hunslet v Hull KR
Batley v Whitehaven
Widnes v Castleford
St Helens v Doncaster
Warrington v London Skolars
Harlequins v Toulouse
Barrow v Oldham
Rochdale v Celtic Crusaders
Halifax v Huddersfield
Wakefield v Wigan
Bradford v Hull
Leigh v Leeds
Salford v Dewsbury

France's Finest fail to Impress
 Pia Xiii The French Donkeys left empty handed after a walk-over by a lively Haven side.The evening threatened to degenerate to a French Farce when several of the Recre floodlights suffered a black-out. The game was allowed to continue with Haven clocking up 72-0 scoreline as the game progressed.
Steady progress in the Haven squad development with good play from (among others) Maden, Seeds, Hill, Sice, Calvert, Joe and Rob Jackson. Rudd kicked numerous conversions, several from out on the wings.










The Pia squad have a donkey as their mascot because of the beast's obstinacy and a courage ! ( obstination et courage )

There was a minute's silence in honour of Whitehaven born and bred Jeff Bawden, who died aged 82.
Bawden started his Rugby League career with Whitehaven amateur club, Hensingham, and after making his debut for Huddersfield in the Yorkshire |Cup against |Hull at Fartown on October 23, l943, gained l4 Cumberland caps.

Haven 26 Barrow 18


There was a good turnout from the fans (gate 1863) for a lacklustre showing by some of the Haven squad. Tries from Lebbon, Seeds, Hill, Rob Jackson and Leroy Joe. Rudd was the goalkicker.







Notable performances from Leroy Joe, Howard Hill, Rudd, Sice, Chambers, Bainbridge, Seeds and Lebbon.
Marc Bainbridge made his Whitehaven debut and the teenage half-back was in the thick of the action. Fellow former Hensingham amateur Scott McAvoy starting in the second-row.
Winger John Lebbon made an important second half touchdown as the NL2 visitors kept snatching lucky breaks as Haven failed to stamp their authority.
Haven: Broadbent, Lebbon, Seeds, R Jackson, Maden, Joe, Rudd, Trindall, Sice, Chambers, Wilkes, McAvoy, Hill. Subs: Bainbridge, Deans, M Jackson, McKinney.

Tries: R Jackson, Joe, Hill, Lebbon, Seeds. Goals: Rudd 3.

Barrow: Norman, Marshall, Basan, Harrison, Nixon, L Finch, Holt, Rafferty, Archer, Dancer, McDermott, Wood, Rafferty. Subs: J Finch, Butler, Horton, Whitehead.

Tries: L Finch, Basan 2, Nixon.Goals: Holt 1.

Referee: Peter Taberner (Wigan).

Whitehaven 36 -12 Gateshead Thunder
Tries: Maden (2) Jackson , Sice ,Calvert , Seeds , Jackson .
Conversions: Rudd (4)
Dynamic duo of Sice and Duffy

Gateshead tries: Rutherford ,Burley ,Neighbour ,

INJURY-HIT Whitehaven outgunned visiting Gateshead to remain unbeaten in the Northern Rail Cup. Haven, missing six first choice players, showed no signs of weakness early on, leaving Gatehead floundering.
Haven were sharp and alert and Thunder looked almost asleep.
First blood came as Duffy send Steve Maden racing clear. The Haven winger outstripped Irvin Greenwood and Joe Burley, racing away to touch down in the corner. Carl Rudd missed this conversion.
Rob Jackson then got a touch down after Chris McKinney had broken down the middle of the park. Soon after Sice scored and Rudd notched the conversion. Maden was in the thick of it again on 20 minutes, interchanging passes with Rob Jackson, to unlock the visitors' defence. This time, however, Thunder full back Graham Stephenson saw the danger and did enough to stop him getting free.
Gateshead had not had time to settle and, as the match passed the 20 minute stage, they started to find a little rhythm.
Indeed, by the time Steve Rutherford knocked on with the line at his mercy on 27 minutes they were positively bossing proceedings.
Thunder are their own worst enemy, they have some lively half backs in Neil Thorman and Jason Connors and a lot of go forward up front, but poor completion rates due to silly mistakes never allowed them to get back into contention. It was one such mistake, by Joel Barnes, which let Haven off the hook again.
Having put some real pressure on the Haven defence they tried to keep the home side pinned deep in their own half.
But Barnes was all over David Seeds as the Haven skipper tried to get to his feet and play the ball, leaving referee Craig Halloran no option but to send him to the sin bin. To be fair to Barnes it was his first offence but several other Thunder players had also been guilty and so he was the one who took the punishment.
With Barnes in the sin bin Haven took advantage of a gap on the right side of Thunder's defence, Leroy Joe sending a kick through for Craig Calvert to cross the whitewash (30), Rudd tacked on the extras.
Gateshead kept going and got the reward that their tenacity deserved on 37 minutes when Rutherford managed to keep hold of the ball and touch down following some excellent work from prop Rob Line.
Kevin Neighbour sliced the conversion attempt to leave the half time score at 20 points to four.
The Haven injury jinx struck again as Craig Calvert hobbled off for an early shower and John Duffy failed to emerge after the break having gone off at half-time clutching his stomach. Thunder started the second period the brighter and made their pressure tell on 49 minutes when Joe Burley got over the line. This time Thorman missed the conversion.
Thunder were back within striking distance of Haven and the home supporters were growing increasingly restless.
Without Duffy they were lacking a playmaker, but Carl Rudd, switched to scrum half to cover the absence, came into his own and took on the task.
Rudd excelled in the responsibility, assisted by Carl Sice, who played outside the confines of his normal game, looking to bring runners in rather then go himself.
With the game on a knife edge a three try salvo killed off the Thunder revival.
First on 55 minutes Rudd's kick seemed to long but David Seeds chased hard and just managed to touch down before the ball when dead. Rudd added the extras. Then on 62 an exceptional break by Sice won a penalty for laying on and from the next set Marc Jackson bulldozed his way over, Rudd tacked on the two points.
Rudd was again provider on 65 minutes, this time a high kick was gathered by Maden and he got his second score in the corner. Rudd missed the conversion.
Thunder did get a consolation try for Neighbour on 69 minutes. Thorman missed the conversion.
Referee: C.Halloran
Attendance: 1300

That will do Sicely!

Barrow 20 - Haven 36

Wilkie in the Barrow gameHaven dominated the play at Barrow with Carl Sice proving the fans' view that he is real try-getter. Tries from Wilkes, Trindall and two each from Sice and Calvert. Goals kicked by Duffy.

By all accounts Leroy Joe was M of M and Wilkes shows more and more flare.

Meanwhile...Haven to entertain French side Pia in third row tie over weekend of March 13.







Three front men downed in Action

David Fatialofa

WHITEHAVEN edged a tough West Cumbrian derby as the season got underway at The Recreation Ground.
But their victory was marred by triple blows as three key players suffered serious injuries. David Fatialofa, Aaron Lester and Spence Miller have major injury concerns after the muddy slog of Black Sunday.


Skipper Aaron Lester, who left the field just ten minutes in with a suspected broken arm. Lester looked a dejected figure as he walked from the field, and the home fans could have been forgiven for wondering if leaving Carl Sice, a star turn for the champions last season, out of the squad altogether might have been a mistake.
This game saw abysmal playing conditions and the referee, Jamie Leahy, contriving to prevent either side getting into full flow. It was never a dirty encounter, not that you'd guess from looking at the penalty count, which finished 14-10 in Haven's favour, but Leahy seemed intent on strict discipline instead of letting the game flow. In the opening 20 minutes the scoreboard was never troubled, but Haven lost Lester and Howard Hill through injury, the latter returning in the second half after some treatment. Both sides were as committed as you'd expect in the most eagerly anticipated local derby for years, but for all the huff and puff there was little to get excited about.
Even the sight of new signing Steve Trindall didn't have the home fans cheering for long as Dean Vaughan, a mainstay of the Haven pack for years before joining Town a season ago, sent him crashing to the canvass with a huge hit.

Vaughan was one of a number of players in the visitor's line up who had been "let go" by Haven and they were all clearly intent on putting on a good show. The first real chance for some points came from on 24 minutes from one of that contingent, Lee Kiddie, who launched a high testing bomb for Steve Maden to deal with under a Town charge led by Lusi Sione. The Haven winger, playing in his first competitive game for the club, handled it superbly. Then on the half hour Graeme Mattinson, on a lot earlier than anticipated due to Lester's misfortune, made a superb run towards the visitors line but spilled the ball at the vital moment.
But it wouldn't be long before the deadlock was broken, just four minutes in fact. Rob Jackson made a half beak and played a brilliant ball to Craig Calvert, who touched down in the corner. John Duffy's conversion attempt failed to leave the half time score at 4-0.
That was the way it stayed for much of the second period, Kiddie was
marshalling his troops well from the stand-off position without them ever really looking like getting back into the match. But Haven's expansive game was not suited to the conditions, and their pace out wide struggled to get any chance to make a clean break.
It was time for the match winner to emerge and Gary Broadbent did just that, capping another fine all round performanc with an exceptional try to send the Kells End into raptures.
Broadbent had a lot of work to do when he received the ball from Duffy on 59 minutes, but skipped through three tackles before touching down. This time Duffy landed the far simpler conversion and Haven were 10 points to the good.
The only other incident of note was a good old fashioned scrap between Haven's Marc Jackson and Town debutant Shaun Lunt.
Jackson spilled the ball under Lunt's challenge and then proceeded to give the former Castleford man a pasting, he was duly sent to the sin-bin but Lunt, who
was also given 10 minutes to cool off, might have considered himself a little unfortunate.
The hooter signalled the end of the game and a winning, if unconvincing start for Dave Rotheram, who said: "I loved it, it was a great atmosphere and a great crowd, it's just a shame that the game was not befitting of such a good attendance.
"I think we dominated long periods of the game and defended well from start to finish, I always felt we were in control and the only time they looked like doing something was when we gave away stupid penalties.
"It's a shame for Aaron, who is at the hospital having an x-ray, but if it is broken it gives Mattinson, who I thought was superb today, a chance to make the number nine jersey his own."
Haven can take heart from a win against a spirited Town side, Oliver Wilkes showed up well and there were some touches of class from John Duffy, and although flyers like Maden, Calvert and Rob Jackson were never going to shine on a pitch like this they all defended well and did what they could going forward. For Town Alan McGuinness, Dean Vaughan and Taani Lavulavu were all huge in defence and Lusi Sione was a constant threat joining the line.
On this evidence Workington will be major contenders in National League Two.

Haven; Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Derry Eilbeck, Steve Maden, Leroy Joe, John Duffy, Steve Trindall, Aaron Lester, David Fatialofa, Oliver Wilkes, Howard Hill, Spencer Miller. Subs (all used) Rob Jackson, Graeme
Mattinson, Marc Jackson, Neil Baynes.

Tries Calvert 34, Broadbent 59
Goal, Duffy 1/2
Sin Bin, Jackson (63) fighting.

Town; Lusi Sione, Matt Johnson, Andrew Frazer, Andrew Beattie, Martyn Wilson,
Lee Kiddie, Steven Kirkbride, Dean Vaughan, Shaun Lunt, Matt Tunstall, Dexter
Miller, John Roper, Brett Smith. Subs (all used) Ryan Campbell, Waysal Sayman,
Taani Lavulavu, Alan McGunniess.

Sin Bin
Lunt (63), fighting

Ref, Jamie Leahy (Dewsbury)

Penalties Haven 14-10
Progressive score 4-0, 10-0. Half time; 4-0.

Attendance, 4,010.

Man of the match, Haven, Gary Broadbent, Town, Lee Kiddie.

Game Breaker, Gary Broadbent's try
Oliver Wilkes

Warm Up Strollers
Haven 36 - Wigan 10
Play maker and M of M John Duffy

Pre-season friendly
February 4 2006

 Craig the Flyin Winger
Gate 1739

Great debut for new signings both from Leigh, Down Under and Home grown talent. Man of the Match was a talented move maker in form of John Duffy.






























First half tries by Craig Calvert, Seeds, Steve Maden(2) and Gleeson and Coyle for Wigan. Almost as soon as Sice and McKinney came on they proved creative and McKinney scored. Rudd converted two tries

Half-time score 24-10

In the second period there were no tries for a long spell until Howard Hill powered through after feeds from Duffy. Paul O'Neil converted.Goulding was one of the best amidst the youthful Wigan squad.
Duffy then drove through the middle of the Wigan defence and O'Neil converted. Coach Rotheram seems to inspired a more open and fluid game plan that bodes well and although youth orientated the Wigan team did feature nine first team players.

Whitehaven: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, Eilbeck, Maden, Rudd, Duffy, Baynes, Lester, Fatialofa, Wilkes, Hill, Miller. Subs: Walsh, Sice, Mattinson, McAvoy, M Jackson, Joe, Deans, D Smith, O’Neil

Wigan: Broklehurst, Thornley, Gleeson, Goulding, Small, Hatton, Coyle, O’Carroll, McIlorum, Kay, Holland, Kavanagh, Walker. Subs: Tompkins, Bradley, Mossop, Roden Brindle




































































Forward Power

Australian giant Steve ‘Bull’ Trindall has joined Whitehaven, who believe he has the ability to be the top prop in NL1 next season. The 32-year-old ex-London Broncos star – 6 ft 3 ins and 17-and-a-half stones is welcome prop power. Trindall may be in place for the Keighley friendly.

Squad: While Joel Penny and Mick Nanyn head south, welcome to the Recre for Rob Jackson, Oliver Wilkes and John Duffy.Rob Jackson


Whitehaven RL car stickers
Now just £1 each at Richardsons Wine and Gifts on Lowther Street.

David Fatialofa puts his neck on the line for Haven ....voted top player 2005

Saint's Coach

Thursday Nov 3 2005
Whitehaven RLFC have appointed St Helens Assistant Coach Dave Rotheram as their new Head Coach. The former London Broncos player and Assistant Coach has joined the club on a two year deal. The thirty seven year old was chosen from a short list of five applicants and the Board feel that Dave is the right man to take the club further forward. He has coaching experience at all levels and has worked alongside coaches like Tony Rea, Ian Millward and Daniel Anderson.

Try our Haven new car stickers...
Car stickers just £1 each at Ricardsons wines on Lowther Street


Pride of Five Lottery draw

You can get your application form online here at marras.co.uk































































www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League